Healthy Moms

Cafe AmyS
Do you trust hospitals?
November 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I saw this in The Stir - Have you got any hospital horror stories to share?

Doctor of Woman Whose Stomach Caught Fire During C-Section Found Not Liable

Posted by Deborah Cruz on November 16, 2012 

c-section

A pregnant woman's abdomen caught fire during what was supposed to be a routine C-section in one of the craziest hospital horror stories I've ever heard. And recently a New York jury ruled that obstetrician Dr. Stephen Brown is not liable for the surgery accident involving former patient Kira Reed.

The fire was the result of a surgical tool igniting an alcohol-based antiseptic applied to the patient's skin. The terrifying incident left Reed with third-degree burns.

Kind of makes you trust hospitals even less, doesn't it?

I’m glad I didn’t hear about this before giving birth either time, or I’m pretty sure I'd have been so scared, they would have had to knock me out 1970s-style.

You just never know what can happen when you go to the hospital. I’ve heard stories about people walking in for minor surgery and walking out with a staph infection that kills them. At least we're prepared for that now, so we can take precautions.

But what do you do when something unexpected happens, when there was no negligence and it was just really bad luck? This is one of those cases in which, it seems, there is no one to blame.

The state Supreme Court ruled that the 2010 C-section gone awry wasn't Brown's fault, and they decided in his favor. The jury found that Brown was not responsible for prepping Reed for the surgery, according to the Post-Standard.

In other words, it was just an unfortunate accident. At least now, thanks to this case, we all know that this particular antiseptic is highly flammable and should not be used with any surgical tool that ignites a spark.

Sadly, though, the discovery came at a very high and painful price for Kira Reed.

Do cases like this make you trust hospitals less? Do you have any hospital horror stories to share?

Replies

• Stefanie83
    November 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I just think it's a good reminder that medical procedures have risks!  But sometimes they are necessary so we have to carefully weigh the pros and cons.

• EthansMomma2010
    November 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    I don't trust hospitals. And fyi there is nothing routine about a csection
  • Bleacheddecay
    November 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I don't trust hospitals, doctors and so on. They tend to treat people like not human. They tend to try to control you by fear and threats and by treating you like you are sub human. Anyone in the hospital EVER needs someone there at ALL times to be an advocate for a patient who may not notice or be able to be aware of things or who might have difficulty communicating.

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    November 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I've only heard of horror stories; one man had an instrument left in him, a couple of staph infections, both friends; one was a 10 year old girl, she was given her "Last Rites", and not expected to make it, but she did, thank God.

• amonkeymom
    November 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I've had a couple of post-surgical infections (MRSA in one, mild staph and psuedomonas in another).  I actually think it's more that I'm probably a staph carrier than it being the fault of either hospital (or either surgeon).

• beautiful.GIRL1
    November 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    I dont. I use to never have any reason to not trust them except for the obvious possibility of a failure.

However when i had my dd and the nurses kept taking her from me every 3hrs and woludnt tell me why, i was eary. And when i went to leave i noticed dd had 8 needle injection marks i definitely didnt like it, especially when nobody would tell me why.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    November 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I don't trust the ER at the hospital nearest us.  They have a tendency to misdiagnose, not to mention the insane wait times.  The maternity ward has never given me a reason to complain, except when I first get there.  The intake nurses are rude.  But once you are admitted, they are fine.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    November 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    You cannot put your dr on the same level as God. Ask questions. Get informed. Know your rights. Don't just sit there and assume your dr knows everything!! They are human and make mistakes.

Every surgery has risks, especially cesareans. So many people have them, I think they are thought of as just easy, simple and routine. It's not. It's MAJOR abdominal surgery! (And I'm not bashing moms who've had a c/s cause I've had 2 myself!)
  • darbyakeep45
    November 17, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Totally agree with Stefanie!  Welcome by the way:)

Quoting Stefanie83:

I just think it's a good reminder that medical procedures have risks!  But sometimes they are necessary so we have to carefully weigh the pros and cons.

• darbyakeep45
    November 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Well said!

Quoting mypbandj:

You cannot put your dr on the same level as God. Ask questions. Get informed. Know your rights. Don't just sit there and assume your dr knows everything!! They are human and make mistakes.

Every surgery has risks, especially cesareans. So many people have them, I think they are thought of as just easy, simple and routine. It's not. It's MAJOR abdominal surgery! (And I'm not bashing moms who've had a c/s cause I've had 2 myself!)

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts