Healthy Moms

mypbandj
Popsicles with the Principal
Jen
November 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I get status updates on my fb newsfeed from the blogger of 100 days of real food

and today she put this:

I'd love to pick your brains. In the past the "Welcome Committee" at our elementary school has offered a "Popsicles with the Principal" activity for new students who transfer to our school mid-year. I have the opportunity to suggest a different welcoming activity (that doesn't include highly processed popsicles!), and to be honest I don't see any value-add in incorporating any food at all.

What are your thoughts about having Popsicles with the Principal? Do you think they should use a different food? Or maybe not even food at all?

Replies

• But_Mommie
    November 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I thin kit is a cute idea... I mean you could suggest they use 100% juice bars if you were worried about the artificial ingredients.  Most kids are over the moon about a popsicle and this would be a great way for them to be able to come into the school and loosen up a little.

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    November 16, 2012 at 4:18 PM

It's a transfer student, so I'd imagine they'd be feeling pretty out of place. What about lunch with 2 new students through the month, or however many it took so everyone got a turn, or two weeks, so there's less pressure, and mix boys with girls. That way the new student meets everyone and has a chance to make friends.

• darbyakeep45
    November 17, 2012 at 7:34 AM

I think it's a great idea!  I agree to change the food to maybe fruit or something more healthy though:)  

• Basherte
    November 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM

As much as I understand wanting the kids to eat healthier. I feel that this is a really good idea. I don't see a problem with a popsicle. The main point is to meet with the kids, and have them feel more comfortable with the principal. To help make them feel more at ease, the popsicle is offered. 

My one history teacher would have a pizza party with his classes. One class at a time. The students were asked to bring a couple of bucks to help pay for it., but he got really close to his students that way.He also took classes himself to get closer to his students, to understand them better so that he could help them if they wished to talk to him about stuff. Even things that weren't history. He was a touchy feeling teacher that did nothing wrong ever. He would touch a shoulder or a hand. That's it.  He was always getting hugs from his students, both male and female. Everyone loved him. Including the parents. He was my favorite teacher. (high school history teacher) 

He never did anything that was inappropriate. He took off of school for a few days one year and went and jumped off of a cliff. As an excersize in one of his own classes that he was a student for, to help him understand his students better.

Oh this person is also (whether he admits it or not right now ) the father of the lead singer in the band "Live"

• fullxbusymom
    November 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    I think this is an amazing idea. I don't have a problem w/popsicles. What a neat thing for the kids.
  • cleanaturalady
    November 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Oh for crying out loud, lighten up, lady.

My advice to her would be this:  If she wants to be involved in making these kinds of events up, she should join her PTA/PTO and volunteer on the committee that sets up the events.  There is always a wealth of "advice" given to the PTA, but a terrible dearth of people actually willing to roll up their sleeves and volunteer.  Countless hours are spent coordinating events, and a host of other things that go on behind the scenes at the school that parents who don't volunteer don't realize.

Sorry, just a little soap-box issue of mine.  I was heavily involved in PTA at my kids elementary school; I was even President for 2 years, and have been involved on a more limited basis at the middle and high school levels.  Not everyone is a stay at home mom, I get that, so not everyone has the kind of time it takes to devote to making a PTA run smoothly and criticism is the last thing that is needed, especially about something so small as a popsicle.

• Krysden
    by Krysden
    November 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Popsicles are not all created equal

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts