Healthy Moms

Cafe AmyS
Do you think that girls who are too thin suffer the same self- esteem issues as those of us who are overweight?
November 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I saw this in The Stir - What are your thoughts?

Keira Knightley's Rumored 'Anorexia' Reminds Us Thin Women Don't Always Have It Easy

Posted by Deborah Cruz on November 15, 2012 

Keira KnightlyActress Keira Knightley's nearly naked Allure cover -- and her interview inside the magazine -- are getting a lot of buzz this week. Not only is she showing off her ultra thin frame in just a Chanel jacket and Tom Ford tuxedo pants and talking about her small breasts (she uses the "T" word liberally to describe them), she's also addressing the anorexia rumors that have dogged her for ages.

Knightley, 27, is beautiful, famous, and talented -- and it seems like she has it all together at a relatively young age. Her figure is what most women would consider pretty close to perfect. But even the most gorgeous women can be left feeling vulnerable about their bodies.

Knightley acknowledges that her weight has been the subject of heavy scrutiny for a long time. People have called her anorexic because of her waif-like frame. It's speculation the star adamantly denies.

The anorexic stuff -- all of that -- it's always going to have an impact, so I think it did hit pretty hard. Because you go, 'Oh, maybe that's right!' I knew I wasn't anorexic, but maybe my body is somehow not right. Or my face is not right. Or the way I speak is not right.

More from The Stir: Anne Hathaway's 'Les Miserables' Starvation Diet Details Are Deeply Disturbing

Who in Hollywood has not been accused of having an eating disorder? Let’s be honest -- celebrity culture imposes ridiculous body-type standards on today’s actresses. It seems that almost every female star fits one of three categories: pregnant because her tummy is a little bloated, anorexic because she is as thin as Hollywood demands, or obese because she is above a size 6.

Even if you are thin, criticism of your body can still affect your self-esteem. It's not just overweight women who are insecure about their size. Thin women are sometimes given just as hard a time. And body image issues are not really about size at all -- they are about perception. They're a state of mind.

Thin girls typically don’t get as much sympathy or attention because people expect that if you are naturally thin, you should be happy. As if being skinny is a privilege. But when you're called anorexic or told you need to eat more because of the slim figure you were born with, it's just as easy to feel bad about yourself as if you were ridiculed for being fat. Just ask Keira Knightley.

Do you think that girls who are too thin suffer the same self- esteem issues as those of us who are overweight?

Replies

• shaunaleigh418
    November 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    I totally agree. I'm 5'2" 97lbs... Always told I need to eat more. Asked if I'm anorexic. I've heard it all. This is just how I am. I've eaten to the point that I was in pain and on the verge of throwing up just because I wanted to gain weight so bad.
  • cleanaturalady
    November 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I think they can, for sure.

• beautiful.GIRL1
    November 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Yes i know thin girls suffer self esteem isssues too. I suffer from them.
    And im 5'2", 105lbs, a size one.
  • sweetmissy_05
    November 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Yes they sure can.

• momof3_dll
    November 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Yes I know they do...even into adulthood.  It's sad because they can't help their genetic makeup....nobody can. 

• Schleetle
    November 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    Women in general are a lot of times more harshly judged on their bodies so I am sure there can be a lot of pressure on both sides. I am thin, but I am happy with my body. I however do not like how people always make comments about how young I look, and insist that it's a compliment. No it's not to me. I have three children (two that are almost 10 years old) I don't want to hear that I look 18. People just speak without thinking... I wouldn't tell a woman "gee wow you look so old to have a newborn!" they would think I was a rude witch, So I don't understand why "wow you look too young to even have one child!" should be seen as a compliment. Same for weight people think it's inappropriate to comment on how someone who is overweight, but it's fine to point out someone is very thin. I am glad I don't really have self esteem issues with my body, but as for the age comments they bothered me a lot when I was pregnant with DD. I thought surely 6 1/2 years after having my sons no one would tell me I look too young now - but they did constantly. The best comment I heard was one day my son's OT simply said "You look great!"... It made me feel good so that's all I say to pregnant ladies from now on. lol
  • Alyson121
    November 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Yes.  My mother, who was never more than a size 4 (back in the 60's, 70's which is about a size 2 today) said she NEVER dressed for gym class because of her thin legs (she's 5'9). It's impossible to live of the the "image" of "the perfect body."

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    November 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Not quite the same, but there are issues as well. For some reason, two years ago, I'd suddenly dropped to 95lbs. It happens to be a side effect of my disease, as well as some of the medications I'm on. I constantly had to hear that I was too thin, and to eat, when, in fact I was eating more. I was really getting scared. When it leveled off at 95, I relaxed a bit. My kids made fun of me, which was just annoying. Every single time I saw my mother she would try to get me to eat. I'd get so angry. I've put a fair amount back on. Once, at the eye doctor's, a woman approached me about where to buy sophisticated clothing, as the Junior department is trendy, and all the other stores go to size 2, except Ann Taylor and Loft, and you have to get there quick! So, yes, I've been on both sides of the fence, because of medication. Each are different, but both stink.

• lancet98
    November 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Anyone who has any noticeable extreme of build or weight, either low or high, is likely to experience pressure to 'be normal', either from themselves or from others around them, or both. 

However, people seem to reserve a distinctly different sort of dislike for those who are overweight.   It's often viewed as a 'character flaw' or 'lack of self control', and especially women, can be very, very hard on each other about overweight.

Actually, overweight in women can be aggravated by medications for common female health issues or to chronically untreated disorders like depression, stress, or abuse in their past.   Quite a few women I know are unable to exercise due to knee or back injuries that never were treated - the health care money went to treating their children instead.   Several gals i know who are nurses, have had chronic back and knee pain for decades from lifting patients.   Many of them can't even go for a walk to exercise.   They're quite limited in activities and as a result weight is a problem. 

A doctor told me that many abused women become overweight, he referred to it as 'body armour'.   He said abused women tend to add weight due to continuous stress and in a desperate  attempt to avoid abuse.

• preacherskid
    November 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Yes.  We do.  Self esteem isn't limited to one size- we ALL have something about ourselves we are not secure with, our hair, our face, our body, etc.  We are insecure about these things and we question ourselves when those traits are pointed out.

I grew up getting told by every. Single. Person. In my family that I was too thin, needed to put meat on my bones, how I looked wasn't healthy, the list goes on.  I still deal with it, and I am 26.  I am still thin, 5'4" and 95 pounds after a meal.  My mother comments, most of her family comments.  It took me a very long time to move past what I had been told most of my life to accept that I am thin, I will always be thin, and what is more important is being healthy, not fitting the image society or my family thinks I should.  I still look at myself some days and hate what I see.  Wish there were more curves, less bone.  I get tired of the comments because they remind me that my body is not "normal", regardless of the fact that at my age I have a body most women work hard to build, and I was born this way.  

I wish people would move past this whole "fat" or "thin" and look for healthy.  Healthy comes in all sizes.  Happy comes in all sizes.  Real women don't just have curves, real women are just women.  Any size, and color, any creed.  We all feel, we are all insecure, and we all want the best for ourselves and our families.

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN