Healthy Moms

Cafe AmyS
Do you think that girls who are too thin suffer the same self- esteem issues as those of us who are overweight?
November 15, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I saw this in The Stir - What are your thoughts?

Keira Knightley's Rumored 'Anorexia' Reminds Us Thin Women Don't Always Have It Easy

Posted by Deborah Cruz on November 15, 2012 

Keira KnightlyActress Keira Knightley's nearly naked Allure cover -- and her interview inside the magazine -- are getting a lot of buzz this week. Not only is she showing off her ultra thin frame in just a Chanel jacket and Tom Ford tuxedo pants and talking about her small breasts (she uses the "T" word liberally to describe them), she's also addressing the anorexia rumors that have dogged her for ages.

Knightley, 27, is beautiful, famous, and talented -- and it seems like she has it all together at a relatively young age. Her figure is what most women would consider pretty close to perfect. But even the most gorgeous women can be left feeling vulnerable about their bodies.

Knightley acknowledges that her weight has been the subject of heavy scrutiny for a long time. People have called her anorexic because of her waif-like frame. It's speculation the star adamantly denies.

The anorexic stuff -- all of that -- it's always going to have an impact, so I think it did hit pretty hard. Because you go, 'Oh, maybe that's right!' I knew I wasn't anorexic, but maybe my body is somehow not right. Or my face is not right. Or the way I speak is not right.

More from The Stir: Anne Hathaway's 'Les Miserables' Starvation Diet Details Are Deeply Disturbing

Who in Hollywood has not been accused of having an eating disorder? Let’s be honest -- celebrity culture imposes ridiculous body-type standards on today’s actresses. It seems that almost every female star fits one of three categories: pregnant because her tummy is a little bloated, anorexic because she is as thin as Hollywood demands, or obese because she is above a size 6.

Even if you are thin, criticism of your body can still affect your self-esteem. It's not just overweight women who are insecure about their size. Thin women are sometimes given just as hard a time. And body image issues are not really about size at all -- they are about perception. They're a state of mind.

Thin girls typically don’t get as much sympathy or attention because people expect that if you are naturally thin, you should be happy. As if being skinny is a privilege. But when you're called anorexic or told you need to eat more because of the slim figure you were born with, it's just as easy to feel bad about yourself as if you were ridiculed for being fat. Just ask Keira Knightley.

Do you think that girls who are too thin suffer the same self- esteem issues as those of us who are overweight?

Replies

• e-doolittle
    November 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Not the same but simIlar

• sherry132
    November 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I think they suffer more. My daughter is tiny. She weighs 93lbs soaking wet at 5'2". She's actually suffered bullying from other kids teasing her about her weight. She has suffered discrimination. She has had nurses and doctors insist health issues are the direct result of how thin she is. She's even been told by a boss of mine that she needed to eat. She already eats like a horse. Some of the comments have hurt her deeply, even caused depression because she doesn't see herself as pretty. Finding clothes that fit is difficult and expensive. They make them plenty enough for women who are thin and for women who are overweight. Anything else and it gets harder and harder to find. 

I've seen her cry for hours and hours over her weight issue. 

When I was a girl, I was teased and made fun of, and some guys at my school were just cruel. They were pretty mean to the girl who was obese also, so I'm not saying those girls don't suffer bullying.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    November 15, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I can beleive there are issues, but it isn't the same.

• Basherte
    November 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I think so.

I wouldn't know first hand though. I was never really skinny.

• SabrinaLC
    November 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM

YES!

I am 4'11" and weigh 102lbs.  I wear a size 0 and xs in pretty much everything.

My family worries about me because I'm small (they are all obese).  People crack jokes at me...etc.

I have had self esteem issues since I was in elementary school.  I've always thought I was "fat"  It's like I know I'm not but I feel like I am.  I was looking in the mirror last night and even though I went from a size 8-10 to a 0 I still feel like my body is the same.  It's hard to explain.

• CrazedMomof2
    November 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I dont think I've ever been underweight but I'm sure those that are do have self esteem issues.

I've been at a place where I've loved my body. I am working to find that place again since having kids.

• reneawesley
    November 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    Yes
  • darbyakeep45
    November 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Definitely so.  Both sides are tough.

But, I'm going to add something here...if you are self conscious and having issues about your body, then I probably would pose half naked for a magazine article and cover...you have to know that people will say things and such.  Just a thought.

• PeaceMuch
    November 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    Yes of course. All women are beautiful no matter what.
  • Krysden
    by Krysden
    November 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

very likely

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts