Healthy Moms

Cafe AmyS
What are your thoughts on abortion?
November 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I saw this in The Stir - No matter your thoughts on abortion, do you think it's ok if it means saving the life of the mother?

Young Pregnant Woman Dies After Hospital Refuses Her a Life-Saving Abortion

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on November 14, 2012 

woman refused abortionA young woman who was 17 weeks pregnant has died of blood poisoning after the hospital refused to give her an abortion that could have saved her life EVEN after she was told that the fetus wasn't going to survive anyway. Savtia Halappanavar, a 31-year-old dentist living in Irelanddied in severe agony, begging for the medical procedure, and no one would give it to her because it's a "Catholic country."

Halappanavar is Hindu.

This story makes me sick. It should make all women sick. Because regardless of where you stand on abortion, THIS is a travesty. Hospital officials claim there was still a heartbeat even though the 17-week-old fetus could not (and did not) survive outside the mother and would likely die anyway. But Ireland is a "Catholic" country. Never mind the beliefs of the mother. This could have been the fate of our country with a president who wanted to overturn Roe v. Wade.

It's chilling to imagine being denied a lifesaving medical procedure just because your government decides THEIR religion trumps yours. My heart breaks for this young life snuffed out by people too blinded by their religion to see the irony in their beliefs.

Though she was eventually given an abortion once the heartbeat truly stopped, it was too late. She died of septicaemia and E. coli ESBL.

If life is so precious, how could you let a woman die? They don't care about the sanctity of LIFE at all. They want to control women. Otherwise, this woman would have been allowed to terminate a pregnancy that was ending anyway in order to save her own life.

I get that people are all over the map on abortion, but the fact is, it's personal decision. It's a medical procedure that is only between a woman and her doctor. There is no good reason that these kinds of laws should be applied unilaterally.

Thank goodness we live in a country that honors religious freedom and the power of women's choice. Don't believe in abortion, don't have one. But if a woman desperately needs one to save her life, it's imperative that she live in a country where the law is clear -- termination is legal.

Isn't a hospital's job to save lives? How can they possibly justify refusing to save this woman's OR her fetus' life? It's against everything they are sworn to do. First, do no harm, right?

It's unclear if this woman had children at all. But I imagine as a mom considering her third pregnancy that this could happen to me. My children could be left motherless because some hospital bureaucrat decided my dying fetus was more important than me. I wonder how my children would feel about that decision. I wonder how Halappanavar's husband felt.

Actually I know how he felt. This is infuriating. It's a tragic, pointless death that makes me even more grateful that the election turned out the way it did last week. May nothing like this EVER be allowed to happen in the US.

Do you believe in abortion for the life of the mother?

Replies

• SabrinaLC
    November 16, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Abortion is a very personal decision.  It should be no ones decision but your own :-(

I am Pro-Choice and I'm also a mother of three.  Decide for yourself.

• darbyakeep45
    November 17, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I agree here.

Quoting freshmom88:

There is a BIG differences between an abortion to save a dying woman's life and an abortion cuz u don't want a baby. I'm pro-life.

• illinoismommy83
    November 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Yes, Ireland is really religious, and I don't know Ireland's laws, but here in the US the Catholic church has the stance that the mothers life has to be in "imminent danger". You basically have to be on your death bed to get approval in a Catholic hospital for an abortion. (Like for example, we all know an ectopic pregnancy is non-viable and life threatening. A normal hospital wouldn't think twice about helping you. A Catholic hospital, by its own rules, has to wait for your tube to burst and then save you. Backwards thinking.)

So yes, I believe in abortion to save the mom, and the Catholic church beleives in abortion to save the mom, and yes, the incident in Ireland is tragic, but without full details and access to her medical records all we have is an over sensationalized story from overseas. We don't know when she got her abortion vs when the infection set in. 

In all fairness, without more details, I could ask my DH if I could get an abortion, be denied, and then die in a bank robbery shoot out later that day and still "die after being denied an abortion." Let's stop over-sensationalizing a story without full details and just be glad that in the US we can all go to a non-Catholic hospital in an emergency.

• illinoismommy83
    November 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Thank you for being the voice of reason. I have felt alone the past few days standing against all of these women who took the headline at face value and were all upset. We don't have her medical records, we merely have some overseas news report. We don't know when the infection set in or if the delayed removal of fetal tissue is what killed her. It is quite possible that getting the abortion the moment she walked in the hospital would have still ended in her death.

Surely a woman has died in a car crash on the way to an abortion clinic. Should we broadcast her death as "Woman died seeking abortion"?

Quoting greenchic:

What a terrible thing to happen. Someone should be held accountable if the hospital is at fault.

Im wondering if an abortion would have saved her life tho, im wondering after reading the story if her illness caused a miscarriage instead of the other way around. Im hoping the find out the truth during the investigation.

Im pro-choice socially but personally Im pro-life....make sense?  :) 

• lhiannan
    November 17, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I do believe that a woman should not be forced to remain pregnant if it will kill her.  I personally have 3 children who depend on me.  I am pro-choice, but would have to be in dire circumstances to get an abortion, myself.  That said, I really don't think there is any way that they could have known she would have developed an infection from not taking the baby out sooner (if that is what happened).  I'm honestly wondering if her water was leaking and she developed an infection from that-that WOULD kill the baby, and could lead to septicemia.  Right now, until she has an autopsy to find out exactly what happened, all we can do is speculate.

• reneawesley
    November 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Yes. I'm pro choice

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts