Healthy Moms

mypbandj
My back is out!
Jen
November 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

About 10 yrs ago I was in an exercise class, jazzercize, when I hurt my back. It was like a pop. I barely remember how it happened. I just remember the pain. I just left the class and slowly walked to my car. I thought it would be ok but it hurt me all weekend and I could barely walk to the bathroom!

So now, every so often, it goes out. The last time was 3 yrs ago. I was on the couch for a week with frozen veggies on my back.

And now it's hurting me again! Last night, while grocery shopping, I felt it coming on. I'm supposed to work today but when I could barely walk this morning, I called in sick.

Now I'm just lying in bed. I can't decide if lying down is better than sitting. Or if staying still is better than trying to move. I hate this so much!

Replies

• Krysden
    by Krysden
    November 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM

oh yuck!   I hope you feel better soon.  

• calimom1123
    November 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    I have this problem from a snowboarding fall 9 years ago. Every few years it goes out and yup it hurts bad! I get the muscle spasms and cant stand straight. I went to a chiropractor and it felt like he made it worse! He told me ice and ibuprofen but try not to stay still too long. It actually helps me to lie on the ground and do a few pelvic tilts when I feel it going out. I also have a sacrowedgy which you lay on and it puts your back in place and stops sciatica. I know it hurts but I notice if I dont move it gets worse. The chiropractor said sleep on the side with a pillow between the knees. Oh and I also have an SI joint belt for flareups. It tightens around the hip area and helps too. Backpain is no fun.
  • mypbandj
    Jen
    November 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Thanks. I'm gonna try and get up and take a shower. Its a really  nice day and I really want to get out of the house.

Quoting calimom1123:

I have this problem from a snowboarding fall 9 years ago. Every few years it goes out and yup it hurts bad! I get the muscle spasms and cant stand straight. I went to a chiropractor and it felt like he made it worse! He told me ice and ibuprofen but try not to stay still too long. It actually helps me to lie on the ground and do a few pelvic tilts when I feel it going out. I also have a sacrowedgy which you lay on and it puts your back in place and stops sciatica. I know it hurts but I notice if I dont move it gets worse. The chiropractor said sleep on the side with a pillow between the knees. Oh and I also have an SI joint belt for flareups. It tightens around the hip area and helps too. Backpain is no fun.

• reneawesley
    November 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Feel better soon.

• amonkeymom
    November 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Oh, ouch!  My neck is like that after an accident back in '94.  Have you ever had an adjustment to see if that helps it go back into place?  Muscle relaxers might help too.

I hope you feel better soon.

• darbyakeep45
    November 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Hugs mama!  Hope it gets better soon!

• Basherte
    November 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Go to a chiropractor. See if there is anything that you can do to prevent it from happening again. Most of the time they will tell you to strengthen your back muscles and it should help a lot.

It worked for me, with my lower back. I don't have any issues with it anymore. Well, I do right now but that's because I need a new bed.

Feel better soon!

Also for me a mixture of being still and moving was the best for me. You just have to figure out what works best for you. Good luck.

• CrazedMomof2
    November 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    I say chiropractor too. I need to go myself but keep putting it off
  • e-doolittle
    November 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Ice should help and rest initially.  Then it is important to strengthen your core to help prevent it from happening again.

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    November 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

When mine goes, I do this~ lie flat on your back. Extend your legs, point toes up, then back. Pull both legs towards chest. Put one leg down, straight, pulling the othe other to your chest. Exchange. Put both legs in a knees up position. Put one leg over the other. Pull that leg ontop to the opposite side. Do the same with the other. Stretch both out flat. Point toes forward, then back. Pull both toward chest. Repeat. I swear, if I ever throw my back, it does it (I'd been in a car accident years ago.) It seems to straighten everything. (hugs!) Honestly, once does it.

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts