darbyakeep45
#1 of 5 Fried Foods that are better baked!
October 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Fake n' Bake: 5 Fried Foods That Are Better Baked

Try these obviously healthier, surprisingly tastier versions of your fave fatty foods

Have food, will fry. It's practically an American motto, but it's also just about the unhealthiest way to eat otherwise healthy fare such as potatoes, chicken, fish, and veggies. "Frying not only nearly triples a food's caloric content because of the added fat from frying oil, but heating foods to high temperatures can cause the formation of cancer-causing compounds," says Nicolette Pace, an R.D. in private practice in Great Neck, NY.  Plus, frying isn't always the tastiest way to cook, since fat can dull taste buds and mute flavors. Cut the fat and keep the flavor (and the golden brown crust) by trying these smarter cooking methods:

baked potatoes
1. Potatoes

Ah, potatoes. Perfectly healthy, low-calorie tubers that are routinely undone by butter, oil, and cream. And when they're sliced into sticks or chips and sunk into a vat of oil, as the saying goes, no one can eat just one.

Why They're Better Baked: Potatoes are a natural foil for added flavors: herbs, garlic, and a little crunchy sea salt. And they're a cinch to make in the oven. Cut into wedges, toss with egg whites, and sprinkle with the chopped herb of your choice. Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 350-degree oven and you'll get a pile of "fries" with a golden brown crust and a moist interior that serve as an excellent vehicle for ketchup.

Replies

• MamaMandee
    October 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    I love baked potatoes!
  • darbyakeep45
    October 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Me too!

Quoting MamaMandee:

I love baked potatoes!

• mypbandj
    Jen
    October 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

love!

• dream528
    October 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I've definitely found that most food is better baked, as opposed to fried.  And potatoes are certainly one of them!! (The picture has me craving some now :P )

• jryberg
    by jryberg
    October 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I LOVE potatoes - we make "oven fried" potatoes a lot :) 

• e-doolittle
    October 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    Baked is better!
  • Jessica020410
    October 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    I loved baked potatoes!
  • darbyakeep45
    October 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Definitely!  Love potatoes!

Quoting dream528:

I've definitely found that most food is better baked, as opposed to fried.  And potatoes are certainly one of them!! (The picture has me craving some now :P )

• keeckhardt
    October 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    I have 30 baked potatoes that I am making into other things. I'm going to have to make baked fries. Thanks!
  • darbyakeep45
    October 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

That's a lot of potatoes!

Quoting keeckhardt:

I have 30 baked potatoes that I am making into other things. I'm going to have to make baked fries. Thanks!