Healthy Moms

moroccanmommy
need help
October 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM
I am a social worker and I'm in my car a lot amd at peoples houses. I've been doing this a couple months now and I'm eating a lot of fast food. I use to never eat fast food maybe once in a very blue moon. I dont buy processed food for my house. But I feel I have no choice When I'm on the road.
Unless I eat sandwiches every single day I work 10 hours. I need some ideas. I don't want to eat this garbage but I'm hungry. There is nowhere for me to heat up food. And I have thermoses but I don't know how long the food would be good for I don't want to get food poisoning.
Help

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    October 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Welcome to the group!  You can bring sandwiches with you, raw veggies, nuts, fruit, etc.  You can bring a little cooler with you for the veggies and fruit.  Good luck!

• moroccanmommy
    October 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    Yeah...that doesn't cut it for 10 hours...
    any other ideas

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  You can bring sandwiches with you, raw veggies, nuts, fruit, etc.  You can bring a little cooler with you for the veggies and fruit.  Good luck!

• cleanaturalady
    October 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

That's a tough one.  I wonder what other social workers do?  Have you asked some of your colleagues?

• moroccanmommy
    October 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Fast food and sandwiches from what I gather. I like hot real.....food;/

Quoting cleanaturalady:

That's a tough one.  I wonder what other social workers do?  Have you asked some of your colleagues?

• ChgIsGood2012
    October 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Hi moroccanmommy...Get a Packit! I don't know if you know what it is, but it's basically a lunch bag that (when you freeze it overnight) will keep your foods cold for up to 10 hours. My son and I both have one, and it does pretty well. I would say on average, the cold foods stay cold for a good 7 hours. So, what you could do is get you some cold foods to pack them to stay cold. Then you could grab some room temp friendly snacks like almonds, raisins, or whatever you like, and have those out for when you can't do the cold foods. And good thing is that fruits like bananas, apples, and oranges don't necessarily need to be refrigerated, so you can still eat healthy while working that demanding job. Oh, one food that I've discovered thanx to a coworker - pickling cucumbers. If you like cucumbers but they are too big to pack, these smaller ones are tastier (to me) and are much more convenient for a snack.

Here's the website link to packit:

https://www.packit.com/?mid=1468638

• ChgIsGood2012
    October 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Oh just saw your response about hot food. Well, if you feel the need to go a restaurant, just pick the best choice - do soup. Chicken tortilla soup is always nice and filling when on the go. Do a chicken sandwich, but grilled. Instead of fries, Wendy's (don't know if there is one in your area) has baked potatoes. You can do a decent meal at Boston Market.

• reneawesley
    October 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM
    I agree with these suggestions. No help with having hot dishes.
  • mypbandj
    Jen
    October 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM
    Can you get a salad from the grocery store salad bar?
  • SabrinaLC
    October 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM

How does that not work for 10 hours?

It sounds like  a healthy choice to me.

My husband is gone at work from 7am - 5pm.  Each day he takes fruits, nuts/dried fruits, a salad, granola bar and water.  

You say you are in a car a lot?  Not very active?  You don't need to be eating huge amounts of food anyway so this would be a perfect suggestion.  Maybe you're so hungry because you're bored?  Try drinking more water.

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Yeah...that doesn't cut it for 10 hours...
    any other ideas

Quoting darbyakeep45:

• jryberg
    by jryberg
    October 19, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I would say focus on having smaller more frequent meals/snacks while you are driving so you are not super hungry and crave a big hot meal.  Some fast food places have soups you can get. You can also choose the grilled chicken sandwiches and get  a side salad instead of french fries.  

Even if you are at work for 10 hours it's not like you need a hot itea at the end of your 10 hour day - thermos' should keep soup hot/warm and safe for the time up until lunch. 

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN