Healthy Moms

alc4evermom
Home-made Cheese is easy/fun/awesome
October 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I almost always have this available in my fridge at home.  My stomach doesn't take to dairy very well, but for some reason my home made queso fresco doesn't bother me as much----as long as I don't binge on it with my friends like I did last week lol

There are a couple of different ways of making it.  Anyone out there who is unfamiliar to what cheese is;  you are separating the fat from the protein (whey).  You need an acid to do this.  Lime juice is great, and it will give the cheese a great flavor.  I've tried all kinds of vinegar and have found that rice vinegar works the best.  You will find by experimenting with different acids, that you will get all kinds of textures and consistencies. 

Get whole milk---it doesn't matter how much, but use at least a quart.  Bring to a slow boil, CONSTANTLY stirring or it will burn.  You can add all of the salt that you want, but it always seems to separate into the whey and not in the fat for some reason.  Once you bring it to a rolling boil, remove from heat and add a couple tablespoons of vinegar or lime juice.  Watch it curdle and let it set for at least five minutes, and then dump it into a cheesecloth lined strainer.  Cool, and then chill in the fridge. 

I am really bad at giving directions, which is why I don't normally post recipes, but google "Home made queso fresco"  if you are confused.  This is totally worth trying!!!

A couple of side notes;  adding high fat butter milk will give you a ricotta texture.  Non-homogenized milk will give you a fresh mozzerella texture. 

Replies

• dream528
    October 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I love a good recipe - thanks!

• Samanthamommy
    October 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM

interesting

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    October 15, 2012 at 6:13 AM

I made mozerella once...it was too much work for me! LOL!

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts