Healthy Moms

norahsmommy
Gallbladder attacks suck!!!!
October 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM
I'm in so much pain right now!! I am just kind of rocking back and forth and waiting for it to pass. I k ow I will eventually need surgery, just waiting for insurance to kick in :(. I made the mistake of eating pasta with Alfredo sauce 2 days in a row and now I'm paying big time. Uuuuuuugh. I took a 600 mg ibuprophin but it's doing nothing. If it doesn't go away in a couple of hours I will have to go in a get checked out but for now I'm trying to occupy my mind.

Replies

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    October 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I'm sorry to hear it. Have you ever tried Aleve? I've found it more effective for pain sometimes. I also found this:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=gallbladder+pain

• cleanaturalady
    October 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I'm so sorry you're in such pain.  I hope it's better soon, and that your insurance kicks in quickly so you can have that taken care of. 

• LindaClement
    October 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I'm with you: the surgery is a poor fix.

Eating 'super light' isn't the only issue. You need to avoid massive dumps of fat, both on an intake level as well as on a 'shedding form your body' level. Metabolizing a lot of fat storage is equally hard on your gall bladder, in fact one of the best predictors of the need for surgery is 'rapid weight loss due to drastic diet changes' --like crash dieting.

Eating fatty foods at the same time as high fibre and 'astringent' foods (like cooked greens, parsley, bitter salad components like frissee and endive) can mitigate the effects and still deliver the essential fatty acids your body needs.

Quoting norahsmommy:

I really don't want surgery. I had another attack right after the one I posted here about went away. Ugh. I changed my diet and have been eating super light yesterday and today. I will overhaul my diet to try and avoid attacks. My dad had avoided surgery for 30 yrs and can occasionally eat fatty foods with no problems. My mom had hers out at 26 and has to run to the toilet after a fatty meal.

Quoting LindaClement:

That sucks, indeed.

My brother suggests that you do what you can to save your gall bladder --living on the 'no gall bladder' diet sucks forever.

• norahsmommy
    October 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    I've been reading about this. I'm trying to loose 60 lbs over the course of a year so hopefully that's not too drastic for my body. All my favorite veggies apparently aggravate gallbladder problems as well :(.

Quoting LindaClement:

Eating 'super light' isn't the only issue. You need to avoid massive dumps of fat, both on an intake level as well as on a 'shedding form your body' level. Metabolizing a lot of fat storage is equally hard on your gall bladder, in fact one of the best predictors of the need for surgery is 'rapid weight loss due to drastic diet changes' --like crash dieting.

Eating fatty foods at the same time as high fibre and 'astringent' foods (like cooked greens, parsley, bitter salad components like frissee and endive) can mitigate the effects and still deliver the essential fatty acids your body needs.

Quoting norahsmommy:

I really don't want surgery. I had another attack right after the one I posted here about went away. Ugh. I changed my diet and have been eating super light yesterday and today. I will overhaul my diet to try and avoid attacks. My dad had avoided surgery for 30 yrs and can occasionally eat fatty foods with no problems. My mom had hers out at 26 and has to run to the toilet after a fatty meal.

Quoting LindaClement:

That sucks, indeed.

My brother suggests that you do what you can to save your gall bladder --living on the 'no gall bladder' diet sucks forever.

• AJMRmom
    by AJMRmom
    October 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

HUGS, Hope you feel better. This happened a couple years ago for me. What happens is the gall bladder fills up with normal bile and will often stretch larger than normal (not necessarily stones) and then not spasm right to empty. That's what happened to me any how and YES the pain was comparable to labor, and at these times I felt VERY bloated and tight abdomen:(

I know many say having gallbladder out is a poor fix, but it was a GREAT one for me (I had previously had gastric bypass and lost over 150 lbs, 5 years before I had to have it out). I've had NONE of the eating difficulties or bowel issues that many say you have after removal.

• LindaClement
    October 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Oh, now that just sucks!

Quoting norahsmommy:

I've been reading about this. I'm trying to loose 60 lbs over the course of a year so hopefully that's not too drastic for my body. All my favorite veggies apparently aggravate gallbladder problems as well :(.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting LindaClement:

That sucks, indeed.

• momavanessa
    October 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Also my doctor told be that I did not need to be on any diet after the gallbladder was removed. Everyone that had their's removed that I personally know said they did not go on a special diet.

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    October 9, 2012 at 5:32 AM

How are you feeling today?

• SabrinaLC
    October 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Sorry, I hope you feel better soon.

If your gallbladder doesn't need to be taken out then I suggest a diet change so that you can keep it.  You do need your gallbladder for proper digestion.

• norahsmommy
    October 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    Better! I was sore and tender the next day still and ate very little ( some crackers, water, a little rice). I took a hard look at my diet and eliminated every single thing that might cause attacks. I'm almost on a paleo diet now :(. I hope it helps! I feel pretty great though so it must be helping a little.

Quoting bhwrn1:

How are you feeling today?

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts