Healthy Moms

mypbandj
Gluten free?
Jen
October 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Do you associate the term "gluten free" as a healthy (or healthier) food option?

Replies

• kerryket
    October 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Only if you have issues with Gluten.

• kerryket
    October 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM

In my experience, since my husband has Celiac Disease, we tend to prepare more food from scratch for the entire family, just skipping all the processed crap is healthier.

• norahsmommy
    October 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM
    Not really. It's just a different way of eating. If you buy the gluten free convenience food its worse IMO than regular because most gf box stuff has a much higher glycemic index than regular stuff. It is healthier for people with gluten issues though.
  • Alyson121
    October 5, 2012 at 2:19 AM

No, i just associate it with "no wheat"

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    October 5, 2012 at 5:47 AM

If you have issues with Gluten then yes.

• darbyakeep45
    October 5, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Yep, I agree here.

Quoting bhwrn1:

If you have issues with Gluten then yes.

• alc4evermom
    October 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM

If you are allergic to gluten, then you shouldn't eat it.  Someone mentioned box foods---they are convenient but if you gain a good sense of a gluten free lifestyle you will find that on occasion it's fun to eat box foods, but like everything else, it should be very limited.  I went gluten free three months ago because I had horrible horrible HORRIBLE hemorrhoids, my stomach was BLOATED out like a pregnant person from gas, and I was sick as a dog.  It explains why my stomach stuck out for so long, but I'm not really sure why the allergy snuck up on me so severely like that.  the same thing happened to me with peanuts about seven years ago.  I don't think that I suffer from emotional attachments to certain foods, and I was so sick it was easy for me to give up.  I'm also very nutritionally educated so I didn't have a struggle in finding what to eat.  It's actually given me more freedom.  I think one of the gimmicky ends of the gluten free diet (i hate those fad diets) is that I think people struggle a lot in general with what is actually healthy and what isn't; and in the beginning they fall into self pity and give up before they see the beauty of living without their digestive systems being attacked.   

• SabrinaLC
    October 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM

no

I mean, if you have issues with gluten then of course, going gluten free is going to be your healthier option.  But if you don't have issues with gluten, it isn't healthier for you to go gluten free.

• cmorris1200
    October 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

It can be if you are open to try new grains and more real food.

• cleanaturalady
    October 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

This. 

Quoting kerryket:

Only if you have issues with Gluten.

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts