alc4evermom
question about weight/image/drugs
October 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM

So when I was growing up I was a little pudgy according to people (looking back on photos I disagree and my parents were not educated about nutrition and forced me into diets) but then my weight skyrocketed to obesity when I sixteen.  My family was very abusive about image , and while my parents were away on a vacation I was sexually abused in the home, and that's when my weight, drug and alcohol use, and self injury problems started.  I was never bullied or picked on by kids at school;  I was bullied by adults. Parents and teachers were horrible, or maybe it seemed that way because my self esteem had been severed.  

Here's the deal;  I am very healthy now;  my body is my temple and I am in college, I have a wonderful relationship with a man finally--- I have a great life, and while I am haunted by the past, I only look to the future.

This is what I realized the most after I got clean and very physically fit;   All the people who were after me about my image are a bunch of addicts/alcohalics and have weight problems.  Now they pick on me for being healthy (therefore I have cut my family off).  Why is this?  Is it just abuse in any form they can find, or is it an attempt to cover up family secrets?    

To anyone out there struggling, you really are not alone and after a while you just have to realize that there is no problem to large or small worth hurting yourself over.  If you stay clean keep working towards physical health you will feel better upstairs----trust me. 

Replies

• SabrinaLC
    October 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

There is always something.  Perhaps now it's jealousy?

When I was over weight and unhealthy my family praised me.  They told me I looked so good.

Well, I was unhappy and changed.  I eat a vegan diet, exercise 6 days a week.  I am at a healthy weight, I am fit and just feel so much better.  And you know what?  My family no longer tells me how great I look.  They worry about me, they worry about my health, etc.

• alc4evermom
    October 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting SabrinaLC:

There is always something.  Perhaps now it's jealousy?

When I was over weight and unhealthy my family praised me.  They told me I looked so good.

Well, I was unhappy and changed.  I eat a vegan diet, exercise 6 days a week.  I am at a healthy weight, I am fit and just feel so much better.  And you know what?  My family no longer tells me how great I look.  They worry about me, they worry about my health, etc.

hey that's cool.  I don't do a vegan diet anymore, but during my first wave of getting clean and losing weight ten years ago (sometimes it takes a few relapses to enter a full recovery mode) I did the vegan diet and that's how I lost all that weight, and that's how I lost all of my baby weight after I had my son.  I usually only eat egg whites now, and just from eating chicken the past couple of days I feel like a blimp!!  I think I like poverty dieting better lol (poverty dieting at my house is hard boiled eggs and vegan beans/rice)

• Krysden
    by Krysden
    October 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I think the reason anybody picks on anybody else usually comes down to "misery loves company".   Good for you getting yourself to a good place.   You should be very proud of that. (=

• amonkeymom
    October 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

hugs  I'm sorry you had to go through that, but really happy that you were able to rise above!

• cmorris1200
    October 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

It makes them look the issue they aren't ready to address.  They don't know/ want to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  The process of getting there is hard and it is scary to change.

• darbyakeep45
    October 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I agree!  Good luck mama!  You've done a great job!

Quoting Krysden:

I think the reason anybody picks on anybody else usually comes down to "misery loves company".   Good for you getting yourself to a good place.   You should be very proud of that. (=

• Alyson121
    October 5, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I know it's hard for people to conceive sometimes but cutting toxic people and relationships out of your life is actually what SAVES your life.  Bravo to you for being able to get help for the abuse you suffered at the hands of those who were suppose to protect you.  Thank you for openly sharing your story. 

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    October 5, 2012 at 5:45 AM

I think it's b/c they KNOW deep down that they have issues and problems and they are watching you change and get healthy. They want you to be the victim as you always have been, but you've taken control and that is very scary for them.

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    October 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Welcome. Thanks for sharing.