cmorris1200
Flouride treatments??
October 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM

My dentist wants my 3 yo and 5 yo to have fluoride tablets.  I am hesitant because their are thyroid issues in my immediate family.  I have read fluoride toxicity can increase the chances of hypothyroidism.  Our water isn't treated with Fluoride and I keep hearing about more town taking it out of the water.  What do you ladies think??

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    October 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I've honestly never heard that before...so I'm not sure...sorry  mama!

• cleanaturalady
    Kim
    October 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I would do some research on that.  Do you drink well water or something?  They should be getting enough flouride just from tap water and flouride toothpaste alone. 

• Krysden
    by Krysden
    October 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

How are their teeth?   I wouldn't use it for a 3 yr old but if your 5yr old is good with rinse & spit then you might consider a flouride rinse.   You can find it at walmart (or similar place) on the aisle with kids toothbrushes & kids toothpastes.  Interestingly enough, the flouride rinses for kids have more flouride in them than the ones for adults. 

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    October 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM

IMHO...my mother just told that she heard that fluoride can cause mental illnesses... granted, she does not want to admit I got mine through heredity, which I did, but I do think tablets sound weird; when we were kids we had treatments ON our teeth, at the office. I've never heard of tablets. They took it out of the water for a reason. If you want to treat an area, treat the area. That's JMO.

• cmorris1200
    October 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Our town doesn't treat for fluoride.  I would rather do a rinse but the dentist wants the supplement for the kids permanent teeth.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

I would do some research on that.  Do you drink well water or something?  They should be getting enough flouride just from tap water and flouride toothpaste alone. 

• reneawesley
    October 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Quoting darbyakeep45:

Me either. Our dentist brushes on something so that's once every 6 months.
  • cmorris1200
    October 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM

The thing is there was a fluoride treatment at the appointment.

Quoting reneawesley:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Me either. Our dentist brushes on something so that's once every 6 months.

• cmorris1200
    October 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Quoting mp3mom:

IMHO...my mother just told that she heard that fluoride can cause mental illnesses... granted, she does not want to admit I got mine through heredity, which I did, but I do think tablets sound weird; when we were kids we had treatments ON our teeth, at the office. I've never heard of tablets. They took it out of the water for a reason. If you want to treat an area, treat the area. That's JMO.

I am concerned about the tablet because for how many year have you heard not to swallow toothpaste because of the fluoride.

• cleanaturalady
    Kim
    October 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM

The thing I've heard about flouride is it's hard to know when you're getting too much and if you do, then it can cause problems.  I would get some clarification from the dentist before I did it if I were you.  That's just me though. 

Quoting cmorris1200:

Our town doesn't treat for fluoride.  I would rather do a rinse but the dentist wants the supplement for the kids permanent teeth.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

• mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    October 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Very true... and they removed it from water. IDK... it's a hard decision. Why won't they just give it to them on their teeth? Our dentist DOES that! It reeks $ to me... but I'm the skeptical one, lol.

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

I am concerned about the tablet because for how many year have you heard not to swallow toothpaste because of the fluoride.