Healthy Moms

cmorris1200
Flouride treatments??
October 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM

My dentist wants my 3 yo and 5 yo to have fluoride tablets.  I am hesitant because their are thyroid issues in my immediate family.  I have read fluoride toxicity can increase the chances of hypothyroidism.  Our water isn't treated with Fluoride and I keep hearing about more town taking it out of the water.  What do you ladies think??

Replies

• Stacie03
    October 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    I have never given the kids fluoride even though the Pedi recommended it because of not having any in our water. I just don't think it's necessary and while I've not taken the kids to a dentist their teeth appear healthy. They are 4&2 yrs.
  • mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    October 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Here's some info I trust:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=Flouride

Quoting mp3mom:

Very true... and they removed it from water. IDK... it's a hard decision. Why won't they just give it to them on their teeth? Our dentist DOES that! It reeks $ to me... but I'm the skeptical one, lol.

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

IMHO...my mother just told that she heard that fluoride can cause mental illnesses... granted, she does not want to admit I got mine through heredity, which I did, but I do think tablets sound weird; when we were kids we had treatments ON our teeth, at the office. I've never heard of tablets. They took it out of the water for a reason. If you want to treat an area, treat the area. That's JMO.

I am concerned about the tablet because for how many year have you heard not to swallow toothpaste because of the fluoride.

• e-doolittle
    October 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    I wouldn't allow it personally
  • cmorris1200
    October 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

They want  additional fluoride for the teeth that are still to come in.  (3.5 and 5.5 yos)   They did a fluoride treatment at my son's cleaning.

Quoting mp3mom:

Very true... and they removed it from water. IDK... it's a hard decision. Why won't they just give it to them on their teeth? Our dentist DOES that! It reeks $ to me... but I'm the skeptical one, lol.

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

IMHO...my mother just told that she heard that fluoride can cause mental illnesses... granted, she does not want to admit I got mine through heredity, which I did, but I do think tablets sound weird; when we were kids we had treatments ON our teeth, at the office. I've never heard of tablets. They took it out of the water for a reason. If you want to treat an area, treat the area. That's JMO.

I am concerned about the tablet because for how many year have you heard not to swallow toothpaste because of the fluoride.

• cmorris1200
    October 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Thanks!!

Quoting mp3mom:

Here's some info I trust:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=Flouride

Quoting mp3mom:

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

• Alyson121
    October 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I would not do it.  Why does your dentist want to do it?  Does it cost extra money or is it free?

• Alyson121
    October 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

That's what i was thinking too, that they're doing it for money.  Fluoride is a hzmat material, so i surely wouldn't want to take it in a supplement

Quoting mp3mom:

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

• ZakkarysMom
    October 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    I wouldnt let them get the tablets. Toothpaste and water have fluoride. Thats enough. JMO.
  • mypbandj
    Jen
    October 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    I let them brush on the fluoride but I don't think I'd do the tablet.
  • EthansMomma2010
    October 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM

flouride is a risky thing. too much is bad and too little is kind of bad. to me flouride is not really necessary outside of toothepaste. in fact i will be glad when it isn't in our water anymore. i don't do flouride treatments at the dentist either because they give me massive migraines and to me thats an indication that something is wrong with it. i haven't researched it further because like i said i just refuse the treatments and use toothpaste. if your kids don't have cavities i really woudln't worry about it.

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN