CafeMom Team
How do you get your kids to eat more vegetables?
September 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Getting your little one to eat more veggies can be a tough job but it doesn't have to be. We asked 50 CafeMom members to take  the One Giant Pledge to get their family to eat more vegetables and gave them a free coupon from Green Giant to get them started.With Green Giant, vegetables are picked at the peak of perfection and frozen or canned fast to preserve the simple goodness nature intended!

Tell us about your family. How do you get your kids to eat more vegetables?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• chimis
    by chimis
    September 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    I make sure there's a healthy veggie with almost every meal! Kiddo loves broccoli. :)
  • LancesMom
    September 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    By adding them to sauces and salads, instead of potatoes have a variety of roasted vegies.
  • Babujai
    by Babujai
    September 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    I have my kids help make veggies in different ways. They love to help cook and they're willing to eat almost anything they help cook.
  • luvjamal
    September 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    stir fry sunday!
  • LindaClement
    September 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

My kids have always loved veggies, so it wasn't a struggle.

A variety of vegetables were served on their plates, on the table and generally around and available when they were hungry, in a variety of different preparations and styles. Neither dh nor I ever talked about what they ate, or when, so 'veggies' weren't an issue.

We rarely have dessert (although I grew up with it after lunch and dinner, every day --apparently a lifetime of habit has nothing to do with my brain) so if they didn't want their dinner (or part of it) there was no negotiations for anything else. When we had dessert, they could eat it whenever they wanted to --and if they were hungry later 'cause they hadn't eaten their dinner, their dinner was waiting for them.

We also grew veggies, with each kid having their own plot to plant their faves in, until they were in their teens.

• HollyHawk333
    September 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    My kids have always loved veggies. However as they get older and see daddy not eating them we have struggles. So I try to make them more fun and exciting to eat.
  • cookinmommyof1
    September 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    I don't have a problem getting ds to eat his veggies, its just we need more variety than what I have in the garden. Im hoping the influencer program will introduce ds to different veggies, and different ways of preparing them. :)
  • mp3mom
    by mp3mom
    September 21, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I always tried to make things in the kitchen fun... I let them (age appropriate) clean veggies, snap beans, rip lettuce, peel carrots and potatoes, spin lettuce, hold my hand while cutting until old enough they could do it on their own. My biggest trick was to put veggies on pretty plates with frilly toothpicks, especially something new. Sometimes I'd lay them out as an appetizer, as if they were no big deal. Summer was the best for skewering... who got to do the most. Then, it turned into non-seasonal grilling. Brrr! Indeed... finish those veggies (or try), maybe we can do a s'more :) 

• alliesmom112
    September 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM

My name is Sandy and I have a great hubby and a 4 year old dd. We always have a vegetable at every meal.  We also had a garden this summer and that helped a lot dd loves to go out to the garden and pick fresh veggies. 

I took the pledge because my dd has started school this year and the more she is out in the world she is asking for things that are less healthy. So I am making a major effort to encourage her to eat more veggies and fruits. 

• JenniL05
    September 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    I plan to incorporate more veggies into our regular meals! I really love adding veggies to pastas.