Healthy Moms

Mommynwife26
Ideal Protein diet. (PIOG)
January 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Has anyone done the ideal protein diet? My Dr recommended it to me and suggested I look into it. I have read that people are having great results on it but I am a little confused on what it consists of and how it works and also what the cost is. I did read that it was pricey. Just looking for any information on it. Thank you!

Replies

• mich.el.le
    January 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Never heard of it.  I'm not a fan of atkins or southbeach type diets (cutting out carbs).

• LindaClement
    January 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I don't tend to take dietary advice from GPs... they don't know more about it than the average mechanic, frankly. 

Read, and follow, the USDA food pyramid for a few months... and work out as often as is recommended, and see if you still need a 'diet' that restricts any kind of macro-nutrient (or whole food group).

• rkoloms
    by rkoloms
    January 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Did your doctor refer you to a nutritionist or dietician? Doctors tend to know little about nutrition, other than the chemistry

• reneawesley
    January 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    Never heard of it.
  • Krysden
    by Krysden
    January 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM

No idea... here's a BUMP for you though.

• amonkeymom
    January 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I've never heard of it.

• darbyakeep45
    January 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Completely agree with Linda:)

Quoting LindaClement:

I don't tend to take dietary advice from GPs... they don't know more about it than the average mechanic, frankly. 

Read, and follow, the USDA food pyramid for a few months... and work out as often as is recommended, and see if you still need a 'diet' that restricts any kind of macro-nutrient (or whole food group).

• darbyakeep45
    January 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Good point...nutritionists are the best!

Quoting rkoloms:

Did your doctor refer you to a nutritionist or dietician? Doctors tend to know little about nutrition, other than the chemistry

• Rsangel64
    January 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Protein is always good for you... i have been doing protein shakes since last June and have never felt better. I have diabetes and Thyroid disease and lost thirty lbs. Add me as a friend for more info.

• LindaClement
    January 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Most North Americans get between 5 and 15 times as much protein as they need (and, remarkably, have a higher-than-worldwide-norm of kidney disease... related?)

Even vegetarians here tend to get about 5 times as much as their bodies need.

Too much of any nutrient pushes other necessary nutrients out of the diet.

Quoting Rsangel64:

Protein is always good for you... i have been doing protein shakes since last June and have never felt better. I have diabetes and Thyroid disease and lost thirty lbs. Add me as a friend for more info.

You probably lost weight because you displaced higher-calorie foods, not because what you were eating was high in protein.

Wheat, oats, rye, millet, quinoa, corn, mushrooms, potatoes, beans, all dairy, eggs, all meat and meat products (including gelatin) all have protein. Getting enough is not the problem... but getting too much may be.

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts