runner-mom
Kids sports/physical activity
November 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Do your kids play any team sports or participate in any sort of organized physical activity (martial arts, dance, gymnastics, etc)?

What age did they start? 

My oldest is 4 and I REALLY want to get him into something ASAP.  Just deciding where to start....maybe soccer?

Replies

• ziff130
    by ziff130
    November 21, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Here, the kids must be 5 to get into anything affordable. Ds will turn 5 next month so I'm hoping to get him and dh into martial arts soon and when soccer season starts we'll get him in there.

• ilovexzavier
    November 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM

my son played soccer at 2 and will play again in the spring.

• mcginnisc
    November 21, 2010 at 5:01 PM

DD is 5 and takes Karate.

Claire

• MaggotMom
    November 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM

My middle son is a skater and he and the younger one play soccer. They started soccer at 10.

• ShyIntuition
    November 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM

My son and daughter started indoor soccor at 3 and outdoor at 4. Plus here in FL we have parent assisted t-ball starting at 3 too.

• mommytoonna
    November 22, 2010 at 9:08 AM

My daughter started "baseball" training at almost 3. She started dance at 4 and LOVES it. Next year she can start tee ball.  Then she will be taking a break from dance. One thing at a time is good for us :)

• SoniaL
    by SoniaL
    November 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I think soccer is a good choice at that age. My almost 14 yr old DD plays volleyball and lacrosse.  My 6 yr old played soccer for 2 seasons (fall and spring when she was 4).  The only reason she isn't continuing is she has a fear of people running behind her. She totally freaks out about it. Kind of a problem in soccer! lol But she loves golf too so we may pursue that.  I think my 4 yr old would be a great soccer player. 

• correlliankitty
    November 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM

My daughter was doing Ice Skating (we have an indoor rink nearby) for awhile.... I hope we can get her back into it again soon. She really enjoyed doing it.  She started doing it when she was 5, but they had classes for the little guys too. 

• texasmom1800
    November 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM

We started flag football when my son was 4.  He's almost 9 now and he plays soccer, football and basketball.

• Amy2125
    by Amy2125
    November 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Martial arts is great, especially for the little ones. Mine started it at age 2 it really teaches them respect and discipline and they absolutely love it! If your in CA check out Dawn Barnes Karate Kids: http://karatekids.net