Healthy Moms

LeslieFaye
Margarine PIOG
August 21, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I just read this in another group and wanted to share it with all of you

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with so many clever new flavorings... DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter? Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study. Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few Only because they are added! Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods. Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years And now, for Margarine... Very high in Trans fatty acids Triple risk of coronary heart disease Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold. L owers quality of breast milk. Decreases immune response. Decreases insulin response. And here's the most disturbing fact.... Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.. This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance). You can try this yourself: Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: * no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something) * it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast? you can find more at my blog: http://naturalyyou.blogspot.com/

Replies

• SanDiegoMaxMom
    August 22, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Even growing up, we never had margerine, so I've never developed a taste for it.  I use butter for baking and use olive oil and sometimes some bacon fat for cooking.

All things in moderation......

• dotsicle
    August 22, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Shoot, I remember my grandma with a big white blob of that stuff in a mixing bowl, adding a yellow coloring to it and mixing it up with a wooden spoon. I was probably about 3 but I remember it like it was yesterday. My folks may have been poor and lived in the sticks, but they weren't farmers and didn't have a cow for butter. Now, my DH prefers "Can't Believe It's Not Butter" over the real thing so I buy him that, but give me real butter anytime!

• DestMasters
    August 22, 2010 at 9:23 PM

We don't do margarine at all. it's either Coconut Oil, Butter or Earth Balance. Once I found out about hydrogenated oil and how Butter really isn't that unhealthy when used in moderation, we just stuck with butter.

• dotsicle
    August 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM

It is said that any food made from just one ingredient is the healthiest choice. Like BUTTER. Also eggs. Milk. Fruit and veggies. Rice. 

Powdered coffee creamer is flammable, and what's that crackling sound that fake sweeteners make when added to a hot drink? Ugh. "Real" coffee cream for me, and real sugar, and REAL butter.

• Luvmycolliesx2
    August 23, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Nope no margarine here either - nothing but pure butter from raw milk. For those who have an allergy to milk - I (and many others) have had great success switching to RAW milk - either cows or goats. And it's real easy to make your own butter using any of these. Raw milk is really the best to use as it's not the "dairy" that many are allergic to but the "lactose" that is made when pasturizing the milk. Thats why when you go Raw - it's a much better fit :) Think about it - food allergies didn't start coming up until about the 1920"s when they started messing with our foods! Just a FYI - something to think about :)

• RanaAurora
    August 24, 2010 at 3:10 AM
  • RanaAurora
    August 24, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Quoting MythicMMM:

Actually, it is around 4 molecules difference between the two last I checked, granted I still wouldn't eat it, and.

Ah, you already linked to it.

Stuff like this guys?  Please fact check.  The more crazy it sounds the less likely it is to be true, and spreading falsehoods makes people turn against the idea as a whole, know what I mean?

• Momofcrazy3
    August 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I use butter to I am trying to turn everything in to complete healthy stuff without shocking the kids

• jcsafc51
    August 25, 2010 at 5:03 AM

in the late 70's, early 80's we used to drive on I-75 thru the area where 'Ivorytown' was located (where Mr Proctor and Mr Gamble invented Ivory soap way back when and there was a portion of the area that always smelled like Endust, the spray cleaning product used for dusting instead of wax. I was told that that was NOT Endust, but NuMaid margarine being made.  Gross. Made me begin to start thinking about what I was eating. Sure didn't eat NuMaid any more!

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN