DestMasters
The absolute worst......
June 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I think that most of us here haven't been walking the healthy path forever. I think many are just embarking on the journey and some have been on it awhile but have walked the line of "What was I thinking????" more than once. 

So what was one of your worst decisions that affected, or could have effected, your health?

I'll fess up first.

There was a time where I really didn't care what I ate or what went in to my body. I was stuck on a cycle of eating garbage and then craving it because my body was in such a state.  My husband and I would drive by the Krispy Kreme shop and if the light was lit, we'd pull in and buy a dozen glazed doughnuts.  We'd claim that we were taking them home for the kids to have but of course, we'd open the box of the hot, steamy circles of cardiac arrest in the car and start scarfing them down. 

It gets worse.  We'd drive across the street to Steak and Shake and get LARGE chocolate milkshakes.  You know, because we had to wash down the doughnuts with something, right?

This wasn't a daily thing.  I know we did do this more than once but probably less than 4 times.  We'd go home, have probably four doughnuts left and crash in front of the TV in a daze of sugar and saturated fat.

Okay, hiding my face now.....................

Replies

• JoyeAustin
    June 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Dest, that is AWESOME.

• BornToRun84
    June 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I have an eating disorder I battle on a daily basis. I was hospitalized in college several times for it and have "recovered" but it is on my mind every day. I use it as a stress coping mechanism, it has lost all connection to thinness. I relapse ever few months but I am determined not to let it win. I am concerned with the health of my body, bones especially because it went on for years before I began to get help.

• DestMasters
    June 12, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Yeah, it really was. But I seriously look back and think "WTH was I THINKING???"  No wonder I was exhausted with cruddy skin and no energy.

Quoting JoyeAustin:

Dest, that is AWESOME.

• runner-mom
    June 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM

oh man.  I'm one of those people who often use the "well I just ran 15 miles this morning, i can eat whatever I want" mentality. I knoooow it's so bad. I know exactly how bad these foods are for me, yet I can't give it up.  Heck, I'm eating tostitos and queso dip as I type this, LOL.  Junk food is still a constant struggle for me, but slooooowly I'm getting better.  I've gone from like 2 liters of soda a day to maybe 20 oz every other day. 

• smurfy88
    June 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM

My senior year in high school I partied, drank, smoked weed and ate any type of fast food I could get my hands on. On top of all the junk I would eat at home (then I would wonder why I was so fat) Then right after high school, I got into a bad situation and couldnt eat anything but fast food for a few weeks.

I am just getting on my health kick, but I am really motivated this time. I actually went grocery shopping yesterday and bought a ton of fresh healthy food, I have never done that before!

• MythicMMM
    June 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I'd say the 3 years I was on a cycle of eating two McD's cheese burgers a day with a bowl of cereal then gorging myself on Pondorosa's buffet on fridays so I would get back the 5lbs I lost every week from working my job.

• yogapantz
    June 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I got into the bad habit of perusing food blogs and swapping sites with my husband. We found some hellaciously unhealthy recipes and tried them all. Like the horror that is brickle (white flour crackers embedded in caramel made of butter & brown sugar and topped with melted chocolate chips), the cream cheese-stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon, the buffalo chicken dip. The turning point was checking out at the grocery store, and the cashier I frequently ended up with asked me why we had so many parties. oh SNAP.

There was also a time when every item on our grill was meat or some kind of meat product.  We have since discovered how delicious grilled vegetables are, as well as fruit.  Spaghetti has whole new dimensions of flavor when we use grilled zucchini and eggplant instead of meat in the sauce.

• sherriet
    June 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM

When hubby & I first started dating, we ate out all of the time.  I was in school & working and he worked a swing shift.  We'd have dinner together around 10 pm, and it was fast food, shakes and all, quite often. Checkers, anyone?  I feel greasy just posting the menu link, ick!

Before we met, we were both about 80 pounds or so lighter and working out on a daily basis.

Dang love blinders!

• Rebeccalynn_dj
    June 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I would go out to dinner with my boyfriend (now husband) all the time.  We would get our own meal, soda, and a dessert.  I would eat it all.  The idea that I could even consider eating all that in one day, more or less one meal, baffles me.

• Christyskids
    June 12, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Until a about 1 1/2 years ago I lived on junk food!  I was always the skinny girl who could eat whatever I wanted and not gain an ounce.  Every woman hated me for it and I loved it.  I was up to an average of 3 full sized candy bars a day on top of tons of Cheetos, chicken tenders, french fries with tons of ranch..  You get the picture.  You name it I ate it.

Thank goodness I started researching IBS and how to cure my symptoms.  I came across some good info.  Now I'm doing correspondance classes for Nutritional counceling and I know how bad those foods were for me.  No wonder I was always tired, depressed, moody, etc.