Healthy Moms

smurfy88
Going out to eat
June 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM

So for those of you who occasionally go to a restaurant, do you look at the nutrition menu before ordering?

Replies

• sherriet
    June 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I do.  I have to because I'm vegetarian and want to know if there's anything besides sides or a steamed veggie plate for me to eat and because I'm keeping track of my sodium intake.

Sherrie

• wendy46121
    June 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I actually do not. We rarely go to actual restaurants anyways, maybe once every 6 months or so... when I do, I'm indulging, as can my kids. 

• DestMasters
    June 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Yes and no. I love, love, love soup but I'm also vegetarian. So many "veggie" soups are made with a base of meat broth.  If I'm just hitting a salad bar or it's a place I know does true veggie stuff, then not so much.  We go out so rarely that it's a "treat" in many ways.

• smurfy88
    June 11, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I never used to, but now that I am motivated to eat healthier, I am going to start. We are going out to eat tonight and I looked at the nutrition information online so I know what I am going to order so I dont end up getting something I think is healthy but realy is not.

• runner-mom
    June 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Nope.  We don't go out very often, so I live it up when I do go out! 

• ethans_momma06
    June 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM

No. If I am overly concerned about the health of the meal I am treating my self with, and I don't already know the ings. then I might check. For the most part I am pretty aware of what I am eating. Salad, w/ serving of dressing = good stuff. Country fried steak smothered in gravy w/ huge side of mashed potatoes = bad.

• olgabillman07
    June 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM

No, I usually do not. Going out to eat is like a treat for our family, so I do not look at the nutritional menu. I am definitely more aware of the foods I eat and naturally pick the "healthier" options, but if I'm craving a huge piece of chocolate cake.. I'm getting it! I definitely eat less than I used to. Now I take hal fof my food home. So I'm sure that really helps.

• Apark
    by Apark
    June 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I look at the menu half the time.  We tend to go to places that we know have food products that we like.  Chipotle is a great example of a restaurant trying to do better.

• KTMOM
    by KTMOM
    June 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I do,  as well as grilling the server and many times speaking to a manager and a chef before I eat at certain places.  I have to because of my celiac disease.  Obviously I don't go out to eat very often to begin with...  There are a few places I have more confidence in,  like PF Changs,  because they actually have a gluten free menu and dedicated woks, utensils, and even plates. 

• clarewillow
    June 11, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Quoting KTMOM:

I do,  as well as grilling the server and many times speaking to a manager and a chef before I eat at certain places.  I have to because of my celiac disease.  Obviously I don't go out to eat very often to begin with...  There are a few places I have more confidence in,  like PF Changs,  because they actually have a gluten free menu and dedicated woks, utensils, and even plates. 

I love PF Changs!

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN