Healthy Moms

RanaAurora
PCOS
June 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Anyone here struggling with it?  I suffer from it myself, though fortunately much lesser than some others.

Weight is a big challenge especially with breastfeeding as well.  I lost 30 pounds in one year just from taking Yasmin alone.  Unfortunately I gained it all back immediately AFTER my daughter's birth, just like with my son.  I just finally saw the scale move down 5 pounds recently, but it's so hard to lose with a nursing baby.

Anyone have any questions, advice, etc.?

Replies

• smurfy88
    June 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM

what is pcos?

• RanaAurora
    June 7, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Polycystic ovarian syndrome.

It screws with hormones, can make you insulin resistant, can make it incredibly hard to get pregnant, messes with body chemistry (icky side effect is smelliness all over), can cause hair growth, messes with the ability to sense fullness and can create an insatiable "hunger" feeling... it's just overall really crappy and screws up your whole body.

• smurfy88
    June 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Oh that sounds horrible, I am sorry you have to go thru that. I have never heard of it.

Congrats on the 5 pounds though!

• evwsquared
    June 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM

BUMP!

Dude, first time I've ever used that button and I find out that I have to edit in order to add a comment!

I just wanted to bump this for you since so many new people have joined.

• runner-mom
    June 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM

nothing regarding PCOS here, but I just saw your siggy and wanted to say my son's name is Rowen too (with an e instead of an a)  !!  I don't see it very often!!

Anyway, sorry for the randomness :)

• RanaAurora
    June 10, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Rowan is an awesome name. :)

• anklebitr
    June 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Not PCOS but I did have a benign teratoma (it is basicly a growth with hair skin and teeth) on my ovary.  Soooo now I am down an ovary and sometimes freak out at the slightest twinge of side pain.

• olgabillman07
    June 11, 2010 at 8:37 AM

I don't know what that is and do not have it, but I know what you mean by having a hard time losing weight while nursing. Most lose weight, but mind just didn't budge. I was really hungry while nursing my son, so therefore, I probably ate way too much. This time I know how to eat healthier while nursing, so hopefully, I will have an easier time losing it.. but you're not alone.

• DestMasters
    June 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Well........I had it many years ago, along with endometriosis.  It's horrible and I feel for you.  I wish I had some sage advice for you.  When I was dealing with it, I wasn't living at my most natural and the answer was a hysterectomy. I don't regret it at all.  My mother died of ovarian cancer and I wanted those suckers OUT.  I didn't have children at the time but I never wanted bio children, always wanted to adopt.  So it worked out.

It sounds like since it's difficult to sense fullness, for eating maybe almost measuring your portions or at least being mindful of what's on your plate and just try to not allow yourself to eat more than a specific amount. (Easier said than done, I know.)

I was reading something the other day about foods that help insulin do its job better. I'll try to find it. 

Healthy Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN