smurfy88
Depression and losing weight
June 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Has anyone ever struggled with depression and trying to change to a healthy lifestyle at the same time?

Replies

• BornToRun84
    June 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Not depression but I have a panic attack disorder that can be bad. Somedays I can barely get out of bed. Plus finding extra energy on valium is hard but I try to work out early and then take it.

• smurfy88
    June 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Oh that must be hard. Kudos to you though for doing so well and working through it!

• runner-mom
    June 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM

It's not always depression, but yes.   I am an emotional eater like you wouldn't believe!  And while my workouts certainly counter balance it, I know the junk I put into my body isn't good. During the end of this last semester it was really bad.  When I'm stressed or having a bad day, I ALWAYS reach for soda.  It's so crazy.  As soon as I get a little taste I feel myself start to relax.  I sound like an alcoholic but I swear that's how it feels sometimes!  And it all boils back to emotions/stress/depression! 

• olgabillman07
    June 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Yes. I was severely depression in 2008. 1. Hubby was laid off after we had just bought a house. 2. I was very over weight and very unhappy with my self. So January of 2009 I forced my self to change my life style and eventually things started looking up.

• smurfy88
    June 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM

That is awesome, congrats on overcoming it!

Quoting olgabillman07:

Yes. I was severely depression in 2008. 1. Hubby was laid off after we had just bought a house. 2. I was very over weight and very unhappy with my self. So January of 2009 I forced my self to change my life style and eventually things started looking up.

• BornToRun84
    June 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Quoting smurfy88:

Oh that must be hard. Kudos to you though for doing so well and working through it!

Thanks, I wont lie I have about 3-4 BAD nervous breakdowns a year. The last year was particularly bad. Honestly fitness has really got me through a lot of it. Especially running.

My biggest issue is emotionally NOT eating.

• jessecutez2
    February 1 at 11:20 PM
    Yes. I'm really struggling with that right now. I really have no advice yet as this is new to me. I push myself very hard to walk everyday but I don't always get out there.its cold and I'm depressed so for me it means I'd rather sleep eat and pee all day. Good luck but its rough and I'm with you