Depression Support Center

KALmommy
Anyone have experience in coming off Paxil?
January 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I have been on Paxil for 5 years.  I have been weaning myself off as per my doctor's instructions but the withdrawal effects are horrible!  I am dizzy, headaches, nauseated, etc.  Anyone have any experience with coming off Paxil?  How long did the withdrawals last and how did you get through it? 

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    Omg they are awful after 2 months I gave up and went back on . I couldn't take it . Goodluck
  • KALmommy
    January 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM

That is exactly what I have done in the past!  I have tried multiple times to get off it but because the withdrawals were so bad, I started back on them again.  This time I am determined but wow...2 months is a long time!  I only waited about 2 weeks before I gave up! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg they are awful after 2 months I gave up and went back on . I couldn't take it . Goodluck

• ashleighmama
    January 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    Yes, Ive gone through it and it sucks! But I went from paxil right to prozac, and the withdrawls were still horrible. Also about a year ago my 30 yr old brother tapered slowly off paxil without going right on another med and he was miserable for months. Ive heard from quite a few people, including my dr, that paxil is famous for horrible withdrawls. Does you dr know how miserable you still are? Im wondering if theres something your dr can give you something temporarily to help ease the misery? Are you also switching to a new med!
  • AkashaGermaine
    January 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM
    I didn't have any trouble transitioning from paxil to celexa. Then I came off the celexa a year later with no trouble. I think it depends on how much it affected you in the first place. It didn't really help me all that much. If it helped you maybe your body wants to stay on it more.
  • MrsMama030912
    I was miserable as well. I couldn't do it but what did work for me was switching to Prozac. I was only on it for 2 weeks and I was actually able to stop it cold turkey and I just get moody and mild hot flashes but much much better than the Paxil withdrawl.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    It took my mom 2 YEARS to get off it :(
  • TS9509
    by TS9509
    January 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM
    I was on it for over a year and tried to come off of it and it was the worst thing in the world!! I was dizzy, tired, sick at my stomach and just felt like poop all the time. I didn't go onto another med but instead ended back up on Paxil just a lower dose than before. My doctor wants us to try again with coming off Paxil and getting in something else but I don't know if I can handle that again.
  • KALmommy
    January 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I'm not switching to a new med.  I have been on anti-depressants since I was 13 and my doc and I are in agreement that we would like to see what happens if I go off them.  It was more for anxiety than depression and I have had no anxiety attacks or anything sincegoing off.  Just the absolutely horrible withdrawals.  My doc knows that they are bad and that I am miserable but we are hoping I can get through it.  The dizziness is what is killing me the most.  I go around running into walls and feeling drunk!  It's not fun at all :(

Quoting ashleighmama:

Yes, Ive gone through it and it sucks! But I went from paxil right to prozac, and the withdrawls were still horrible. Also about a year ago my 30 yr old brother tapered slowly off paxil without going right on another med and he was miserable for months. Ive heard from quite a few people, including my dr, that paxil is famous for horrible withdrawls. Does you dr know how miserable you still are? Im wondering if theres something your dr can give you something temporarily to help ease the misery? Are you also switching to a new med!

• KALmommy
    January 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM

That is EXACTLY how I feel!  I have heard it isn't bad coming off it if you are going on something else but I am stopping completely.  Good luck with it if you decide to come off again!

Quoting TS9509:

I was on it for over a year and tried to come off of it and it was the worst thing in the world!! I was dizzy, tired, sick at my stomach and just felt like poop all the time. I didn't go onto another med but instead ended back up on Paxil just a lower dose than before. My doctor wants us to try again with coming off Paxil and getting in something else but I don't know if I can handle that again.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 29, 2013 at 12:07 AM
    This is my story: I had a baby @ 20, the father of my baby beat me when I was pregnant...yes it was just as horrible as it sounds butI it took one time and he was gone, got ppo he went to jail, not in my kids life at all, never has been never will be. I didn't have postpartum issues, I didn't get on it until my son was 6 mos old and it was because I was working full time going to college pt time and raising and paying for him myself. I took it for about a month then I just stopped, cold turkey!!!! This is where it gets really bad... One day I was watching tv through the day and all of a sudden everything went black, it came in slowly from the sides until I was in complete darkness. I blinked and then kinda screamed and it took about 5 mins for me to see again. The worst was the dreams I would have. I dreampt that I hid under stairwells and watched people walk down and when they would round the corner I would slit their throats with a big knife and it was like being in a real life horror movie, it felt so real that when I woke I was beyond scared. I had a friend who quit cold too and had a severe breakdown and had to leave her dorm. :(

Depression Support Center