Depression Support Center

Cafe Kelly
Expecting a Tax Return? What do you plan on doing with your tax return this year?
January 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Expecting a Tax Return? How to Decide Whether to Save or Splurge

Posted by Maressa Brown

tax refundTax season is upon us, and although that means we have to go through the tedious motions of getting all the necessary paperwork in order and either sitting down with our ol' pal TurboTax or making an appointment with our accountant, there could very well be a bright shiny light at the end of the tunnel ... In the form of a tax return! Who doesn't love a happy "surprise!" check in the mail (or gets direct deposited) that almost feels like a reward (but is actually your own hard-earned cash the government has decided to give back to you)?

We all have different ways of handling our tax return. For some, it goes straight into a savings account. Others use it to pay down a credit card. And well, whether we'd like to admit it or not, plenty of us consider putting our "bonus from Uncle Sam" toward a total splurge.

You know, something you don't necessarily need -- just want, covet, crave. A vacation, an upgraded car, a hot pair of designer boots ... It could even be something you want for you but wouldn't necessarily buy using your everyday dough (like a massage or a package of personal training sessions), because that wouldn't feel responsible somehow. But with a tax return, it's fair game.

Still, when it boils down to it -- I'm guessing what Suze Orman says about tax returns is that you shouldn't splurge until you've got your debt and savings bases covered. As in, the smartest move would be to use it to pay down any existing debt. If you don't have any debt, the second smartest move is to use it to build your savings up to a healthy amount. And if and only if you're free of debt and your savings is in good shape, then, sure, take that tax refund and live it up!

Then again, no matter what the experts say, everyone's financial situation is unique. Everyone has their own reasons for spending or saving their tax refund in whichever way they choose. And if you happen to make an impulsive, irresponsible move, hey, there's always next April!

What do you plan on doing with your tax return this year?

Replies

• kidsnme1982
    February 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I will pay my bils get my van fixed so i can find a new job and save what i can

• mkrhodes84
    February 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    Buying land from BIL , new tires on van, new windshield on car, some in CD, and have some much needed time away with whatever's left!

Depression Support Center

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN