Cloth Diapering Mamas

KayMMIV
REPORT: Kushies/Kooshies
by KayMMIV
January 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM

http://www.kushies.com/

What are Kushies® diapers made of? Are they better for my baby's skin?

Kushies® diapers are made of several layers of 100% soft cotton flannelette. More and more parents are choosing 100% cotton for their baby's clothing as natural cotton fibres FEEL BETTER. Not only is 100% cotton known to be more comfortable, it's cooler and more natural to your skin, especially on sensitive body parts! Have you noticed the disposable diaper companies emphasizing 'GENTLE TOUCH' - 'SOFT FEEL' - 'COTTON/LIKE' Everyone is trying to get BACK-TO-BASICS.
How well do Kushies® fit?

Proper fit prevents friction on baby's tender skin and will prevent messy leaks. Kushies® contoured fitted diaper has special design features such as a patented built-inflap for extra absorbency, soft leg elastic & adjustable Aplix® closures for snug fit.
In the December 1995 issue of Parents U.K., Kushies® was rated 9 (best out of a scale of 1-10) in overall fit.
**A very small newborn may need extra liners to pad the diaper. You can also adjust the waist tabs by either fastening one over the top of the other horizontally or across in an "X".
Is the elastic used in Kushies® going to last through many washings?

The elastic used in Kushies® was developed after two years of testing. The material is made of 100% rubber and will withstand the most rigerous washing and drying.

LEAVE YOUR REVIEW

Replies

• KayMMIV
    by KayMMIV
    January 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I have used their toddler taffeta covers and their toddler aios ultras. These diapers must have been disigned off a baby built like mine because they fit him perfectly, which is nice and leave no marks around his legs and no leaking.

the only time i have ever had either kind even wick moisture through was when i didn't put enough stuffing during an extra long nap and the moisture wicked through the taffeta, other then that no leaking at all and no issues with these diapers.

I have 6 of the all in one kushies toddler size clopth diapers. I bought 5 of these used in wonderful shape from a mom off cafemom who used them for about 10 months for her little one. When I got them I would have believed her if she told me she never used them, they looked like new. I've used them for 7 months now and they still look and work like new. I've bought one more new and you can't see any visable difference between it and the five used, not is there any discernable usable difference. I have no doubt these will still be in excellent shape and and used on the next baby.

Since other reviewers have done a mix of reviewing the brand (Kushies) and the diaper type (All-In-One) I will do the same:

I don't perfer all-in-ones because as other reviewers have noted any brand all-in-ones take forever to dry and the fit can be compromised depending on how they are shaped compared to how your lo is shaped. Also like any AIO diaper whatever the brand you have to take precautions to keep the ammonia from building up in the layers and depending on your water type this might be harder (if you have hard water add a cap of washing soda to the wash will help with this issue tremendously) Also if you use vinegar when washing or rinsing you are going to end up with leaks because acetic acid compromises the waterproof layer and the elastic (this might be what caused some reviewers to have issues with them 'falling apart'.

On to points about this particular brand:

These fit my lo perfectly and Tristian is not bothered by these and does not try to take them off (like he does some brands of diapers), so that is wonderful. I really really like that they have it so you just fold the velcro tabs over to connect to the area right next to them to protect the velcro while laundering. I also really like that they have a pocket type design for when you are wanting to add padding for absorbancy, that makes the fit much better when doubling and make it easy to add more absorbancy (side note, these are hybrid aios, not true aios- you will need extra absorbancy, but that's what the pocket is there for. But this means that drying time isn't as rediculous as it would be with a true aio). I have had no leaks at all with these ever, and my lo is a VERY heavy wetter that has leaked in most everything else, so that's a total thumbs up also. I use to have to use gerber vinyl covers over a fitted with 2 microfiber inserts at night since my lo is such a heavy wetter (this was at under a year old also). I stuff these with a full microfiber for night time use and that takes care of the absorbancy issue and no leaks ever. Also, I have had no problem with smell with these when following normal AIO precautions against ammonia build up.

I also wanted to add after setting up a review page for these in the cafemom Cloth Diapering Mamas group we have noticed that these work great those with chubby los with no real complaints, for those with skinny los they don't fit well and leak often in the older version of the aios, but the newer ones seem to fit both skinny and chubby well.

Anyways- I am a big fan of kushies, especially for the fit on my lo that's so perfect, they are definitly for chunky monkeys, not skinny minnies ;-)

Kushies toddler taffeta cover

Kushies toddler aio ultra

• KayMMIV
    by KayMMIV
    January 4, 2009 at 5:45 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/676568/Anybody_tried_Kushies_AIOs

mommyjenn132

by mommyjenn132 on Aug. 11, 2007 at 12:02 PM

I use them all the time. They are the only aio I own, with the exception of one Bumkins.  To be honest, I use them because that is what was given to me, used.  But you can't beat the convenience of an aio.  However, I find they leak if I let them wear it during naps, or if we are out. So, we only use them at home/wake time.  Otherwise we use fitteds and covers. But design wise I think they have a nice trim fit.

proverbsmommy4

by proverbsmommy4 on Aug. 11, 2007 at 12:11 PM

I used the Kushies AIO and honestly, it was the worst diaper I owned. It seemed to work worse than just the regular prefolds with a plastic cover.  It leaked quite a bit and he got awful rashes with the Kushies. 

Mamaoftwingles

by Mamaoftwingles on Aug. 11, 2007 at 3:56 PM

I usually use covers & prefolds, but I have about 5 kushies aios and I love them.  I can even use them at night, I like how they fit and as long as you stuff a good insert into that weird pocket thing (which I think is weird only because its supposed to be an AIO) I love them.  It is very cool to know that walmart is starting to carry them.

Edited to add: I think my AIOs are KOOSHIES, I have had KUSHIES covers, I got them in a trade and they were very inexpensive, the lady I got them from bought them at Sears, they were $7-$8 apiece for covers.  The toddler size was too small for my guy (I thought they would fit...darn it! LOL) but they seemed to be decent  covers....nothing fancy, definitely "mass produced" but the design was good, I liked the gussets at the legs, the touch tape seemed sturdy.  They were different than my usual covers (mama made, small business made) in that they were very  "cookie cutter", but they did seem decent.  I would probably try the AIOs based on my very limited experience with Kushies. The KOOSHIES AIOs....those are the ones I love!

Edited again to add:  Took dipes out of the dryer...and I have some KOOSHIES AIOs AND some KUSHIES AIOs....LOL....they are very similar, have the same wonky stuffable part and I like them both.  The fit on one of them, can't remember which, is much more generous, which I like, having a very tall toddler.

brorie

by brorie on Aug. 13, 2007 at 12:17 AM

My friend used kushies and had a lot of leeks.  They are very bulky and take for ever to dry (that was the newborn size).  I know they are cheap but save your money.  I love pocket diapers. 

waterlilyn4kids

by waterlilyn4kids on Aug. 13, 2007 at 12:50 AM

I have not used the all in ones but I have  the basic cloth diapers and they are ok but I put a prefold in mine becuse they just don't hold much pee, for my little one! Now  there is 2 different AIO go to the Kushies site and see info on them cus there is a big difference in layers, I know  AIO have more layers then the basic ones do.
    I just altered mine to make it work for us.

I just saw on craigslist that  were being sold 12 kushies AIO for $40 If I had the money I would have bought them LOL

got2stnd

by got2stnd on Aug. 13, 2007 at 12:30 PM

my cousin's wife loooves them.. she has both the aio and the fitteds.. i think they are kushie fitteds.. i might be wrong though..but i know she likes them alot...

camelfam

by camelfam on Aug. 15, 2007 at 8:53 PM

I got some secondhand and I really like them. I haven't had a problem so far, but I also don't have any of the nice brands (Fuzzi Bunz etc) to compare them to.
  • KayMMIV
    by KayMMIV
    January 4, 2009 at 5:48 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/4533476/Kushies_at_walmart_com

Aradae

by Aradae on Jul. 17, 2008 at 7:19 AM

I use the Kushies reusable liners and I have not had any problems.

AyeBlossom

by AyeBlossom on Jul. 17, 2008 at 7:48 AM

i havnt bought them from walmart but i have a kushies diaper...i like it....i wish i could get more!

hatcherbee

by hatcherbee on Jul. 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM

I bought them online about a year ago to try.. because they were a great price. But I ended up returning them because they were super thick and felt really uncomfortable and the PUL was stiff and scratchy. I tried one on my daughter before washing and she couldn't even crawl in them, so I just sent em back. Now that I think about it though, they might have made good nitetime dipes and they probably would have softened up with a few washings. I don't use AIO's at all now but if you do they are probably worth a try since the price is so good.

reddawn1975

by reddawn1975 on Jul. 17, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Considering this is the only AIO I have I really have nothing to compair it to but I like them! We mostly use prefolds but I got one pack of the Kushies about 2-3 months ago. I have even used them at night off and on and they hold a lot! The only thing I don't like is they seem to stain more easy of my son poops then prefolds but nothing that lemon juice and the sun hasin't gotten out!

Avarah

by Avarah on Jul. 17, 2008 at 11:38 AM

People either love 'em or hate 'em.  I was able to stack some sales and promos at Babycenter a couple of weeks ago to get a 5-pack for $36, so I finally broke down and tried some.

Keep in mind, they've only been in rotation for a week and I've got a decent sized stash.  I have used them and washed them, though.

What do I think?  I think they're a steal at $36 for 5 AIOs.  I wouldn't pay more than $45 for them, and I'd realy prefer not to pay more than $40.

They fit ok on my chunky-thighed, long-rised, budda-bellied 3 month old. They're not too tight in the legs already, which bodes well for them lasting him for a few months, at least. 

The velcro is weird.  They have this thick ass receiving tab and these skinny little sticky tabs.  They do have laundry tabs, btw, but I've had at least one come open in the wash.  VERY annoying, but at least it just stuck to the velcro on another diaper. lol

The flannel inside isn't particularly absorbant. It's not a diaper I'm going to put on him for a car trip or if I'm going on errands and won't be able to change him.  They haven't leaked, he just feels REALLY wet after an hour and a half (he's a super-soaker).

I think they're trimmer than a lot of my premium diapers, but the vinyl cover is nasty feeling and smelled like a shower curtain when I took them out of the package.  I'm not hugely fond of that, but I also don't think my child's health is in imminent danger from wearing them. :)  Besides, my baby usually wears onesies, so it's mostly covered so neither he nor I have to feel the outside.  Another plus to that is that the look of them is uninspired, to say the least.  Not aweful, though.  One white, one pale green, one yellow. One ducky and one...uh. Something print, I think. ABC blocks maybe? I dunno. Not exactly memorable in the looks department.

They're a decent daytime diaper. Just don't expect more for the money, IMO.

Hope that helps. :)

averiesmomma

by averiesmomma on Jul. 17, 2008 at 11:45 AM

i have the aio's as well.  they are a decent diaper as the pp's have said.  they aren't beautiful and squishy but they work.  they are my dipes that i use when i am running low.  i prefer to have fleece against dd's bum rather than flannel.  she has a sensitive tush.  they wide soft part of the velcro is wide so that there is room to adjust the fit....i have i think they are mediums or something.  my dd has worn them for months now and has tons of room for growing.  the velcro is stiff and does come off the laundry tabs in the wash but if you make it a point to push them down pretty well before throwing them in they stay most of the time.  they do soften up after washing but i thought the same as the others...really uncomfy feeling.  until i washed them.  they don't leave red marks on dd's legs like other dipes do.  they stain easily but i don't worry too much about that since i got these fairly cheap.  they hold up really well.  i also have the reusable liners.  i used to use them often and they are nice but dd can't have moisture up against her. 

RArnold18

by RArnold18 on Jul. 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Kushies  are the bulk of my diaper stash and I haven't had any problems with them yet. The PUL does get a lot softer after a few washes, but the yellow ones still feel different from the others, not stiff but a different texture, nothing that has bothered me. They velcro does tend to come off the laundry tabs in the wash but once again doesn't bother me because when I do diapers that's all that is in that load. I choose Kushies mainly because of the price and Wal-mart has free site to store shipping, making it even more cost effective. I did manage to score a few packages on e-bay for less than walmarts price which made me happy too. The flushable liners work ok, I used them when a nasty virus went through the house and everyone including Abbs ended up with the rear end trots...my biggest gripe with them is they tend to crumple up in the diaper if you don't get them just right.
    Overall I love my Kushies because they were cheap and they work. I call Kushies my workhorse diapers because 90% of the time that's what's on Abbs...

jewelmcjem

by jewelmcjem on Jul. 18, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Mine (not from WalMart) wick something awful if I don't catch her right away -- about as fast as I would have to with a fitted & no cover, but I use them for night with a cover and love them.  I like that you can stuff the soaker layer, a trifold microfiber towel fits just right!

• KayMMIV
    by KayMMIV
    January 4, 2009 at 5:50 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/332841/Kushies

Kali4u

by Kali4u on Jun. 12, 2007 at 10:10 PM

I have some Kushies AIO and I really like them.  I think that they actually hold more than the Bumkins AIO, but I don't love how bulky they are.  I thought they were great for the price.

leximom

by leximom on Jun. 13, 2007 at 12:39 AM

They are good for the price. Better than bumkins, but that's not really saying much, lol! They aren't the most absorbant diaper out there, but you can add a doubler without making it too bulky. The outside of the aio are kind of plasticy, too. They do seem to have kind of a high rise, but I think that it's because it has such a wide weight range. Like the infant size is from 10-22 lbs and that can be anything from a newborn to an almost 2 year old, ya know...

If I had to choose between kushies or disposable I would choose kushies for sure

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/7057183/Kushies_newborn_diapers

reddawn1975

by reddawn1975 on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Oh about the Kushies all in ones (I assume that is what you are talking about) I have had some but in the large size. Personaly I didn't really like them they work and I didn't have a problem with them not working. I just didn't like how hard it seemed to keep them clean. They seemed to stain really easy and I had to do a extra hard cleaning routine called stripping them about every 6-8 weeks or they would stink even when they had been washed etc. I have never worked so hard at keeping diapers clean as with the Kushies. I even sold them to another mom because of this. I have heard that this is a AIO kind of problem. I have never had this problem with fitteds or pockets or prefolds.

alexmom07

by alexmom07 on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:34 AM

I just started  CD with Alex about to turn 16 months... I ordered the Kushies AIO Toddler size to get us started...  I have used them a few times and I think the leg holes are a little big but you can adjust the velco to cure that... My only thing is I hate the velcro! The laundry tabs dont seem to work right cause after I wash/dry everything is stuck to the velcro and it has come undone from the diaper... anyways, have you tried any other dipes? There are lots of great AIO made my mommies on CM...  Maybe even try a OS (one size) that will grow with your little one...

• KayMMIV
    by KayMMIV
    January 4, 2009 at 5:53 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/3935056/kushies

brorie

by brorie on Jun. 2, 2008 at 10:44 PM

I didn't like them and ended up reselling all of mine.  My friend used them and prefolds/covers thats it (she never looked online) and they are not going to hold up for a 2nd baby. 
    I think it is better to buy used then kushies.  But you can also buy them used or buy one pack and use just one until you decide then sell them if you don't like them. 

Rik-E

by Rik-E on Jun. 2, 2008 at 10:47 PM

So far I have only found 2 commercial brand AIO that we will use (and that I love!) -- Kushies and Bumkins. The feature I love most on the Kushies is the stuffable quick dry soaker. And they fit my DD perfectly! I have the hardest time finding good diapers that fit her and keep in the EBF poo! So I'd say get a couple to try. We love them!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/3042632/Review_of_Kushie_s_Ultra_AIO

Review of Kushie's Ultra AIO

mommybug02

Mar. 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM by mommybug02
    posted to Cloth Diapering Mamas

• 1 Replies
    • 29 Total Views
    Okay so I posted last night that I had stuffed the diaper flap with a flatfold and off to bed she went at 7:00. At 11:15 her clothes were SOAKED but the dipe was barely wet. The stuffing moved and it left a gap and basically the pee pee went right out the side of the dipe. So I cleaned her up and put a fresh one on and from 11:30 to 7:45 this morning she had dry clothes and a dry bed. Tonight we will see how she does without stuffing for the whole night.

Other than CLEAR operator error, these are GREAT. Very soft, the size is good.. like I said in the other post they are 10-22lb size and she weigs 20lbs and will be able to wear them for quite some time!! Oh and don't forget that for the 5 I ordered that are less than $9 per diaper, can't beat the price!

HTH anyone wondering about kushies!

lil_mrs_zki

by lil_mrs_zki on Mar. 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM

I used Kushies for 6 months and I was very happy with them - I've never stuffed the flap w/anything but it was a nice feature in case I needed it.  The only qualms I have with them is their bulkiness - I had to buy 18month pants just to get his butt to fit (he was 9 months old at the time)
    Now my son is 15 months old and we are using a combo of pockets and diaper covers w/shammies but I am still using the kushies - mostly at night or if it's warm and we are inside most of the day I just put him in his kushies and a t shirt.

• KayMMIV
    by KayMMIV
    January 4, 2009 at 5:58 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read.php?post_id=2480031

Kushies

Trish1820

Feb. 15, 2008 at 9:30 AM by Trish1820
    posted to Cloth Diapering Mamas

• 4 Replies
    • 51 Total Views
    I just bought a 5 pack of these, we have been trying to build our stash and not spend a ton of money right now so I figured they were cheap we'll try them. When I opened them I hated them right away!!!  They are big and bulky.  Well last night we put one on our very heavy wetter and figured we would try this diaper while he slept.  He had 2- 10oz bottles before he finally gave in last night and then ended up sleeping for 12 hours with out waking at all what so ever.  As soon as my little guy woke up I sent his dad in to get him.  I did not want to pick him up myself because I was afriad I would get soaked and his whole bed would be wet.  Well my boyfriend brings him down and he is completely dry.  (smells like pee BAD)  Changed him he was not red at all , did not saok through anything , the diaper I swear weighs about 5 pounds but he was dry.  I am very impressed!!!!  For the price of these I have now changed my mind I think I love them.
    Aiden06

by Aiden06 on Feb. 16, 2008 at 12:06 AM

i have kushies but mine are the baby basic and not the aio kind so mine soak through so bad i have to use a cover we have a thirsties for that....what kind do you have?

prairiemaid

by prairiemaid on Feb. 16, 2008 at 12:30 AM

I have kushies AIOs I bought when my oldest ds was still diapering.....bought them about 4 years ago and hated them, they were sooo bulky and thick so I never felt they got washed clean , took wayyyy to long to dry, and always leaked. this is just my experiance of them then, they might have changed since 4 years ago.
    also I bought a few kushies covers which were basically throw away sucky covers....would never buy them again.
    like I said though.......this was 4 years ago so things have probably changed a little since then.

Trish1820

by Trish1820 on Feb. 16, 2008 at 8:46 AM

They are the AIO.  I do agree these do seem a little think and bulky but for som reaosn he never soaked through his.  Maybe they finally figured things out in the last 4 years.  I am not planning on ordering anymore, just because I dont like how big they are but I will use them for night time.  I hope they dont leak as bad as PP said, I finally had one night of clean sheets. 
  • KayMMIV
    by KayMMIV
    January 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/2170659/Kushies_fitteds_anyone

amandajoy21

by amandajoy21 on Jan. 21, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I have to kushies basic and I really like them that sounds like what you are looking at. You still need doublers and a cover for night time but during the day I just use the diaper and a doubler. If you are lookng for a cheap doubler use the prefolds in the diaper with a cover just in case. Kushies has an all in one which I am waiting for my mom to buy for me so I can see if I like em. I think they are a great value for the money.

mommyto3rascals

by mommyto3rascals on Jan. 21, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Kushie basics are fine. They arent for heavy wetters or over night...that's for sure :) But they are a good daytime diaper.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/2710899/kushies_liners

KUSHIES LINERS

AyeBlossom

by AyeBlossom on Mar. 4, 2008 at 6:13 PM

i have the kushies inserts....i have some other brands too and they are a bit thinner...but for what they cost...just put two in!   i have paid 5.00 for one insert from another company....so i would stick with the kushies :O)

mymetrobaby

by mymetrobaby on Mar. 4, 2008 at 6:14 PM

If you are talking about the roll of flushable liners, I love them! My little one eats solids now and I don't like toilet swishing. These liners help keep moisture away from his bottom and make clean up super easy!
  • KayMMIV
    by KayMMIV
    January 4, 2009 at 6:03 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/boards/read/977357/kushies_all_in_ones

mommyjenn132

by mommyjenn132 on Sep. 20, 2007 at 3:49 PM

I use them just because that is what was given to me. I think they work fine, they are cheaper than other aios, but I do think they need more absorbancy.

Redpixie80

by Redpixie80 on Sep. 21, 2007 at 10:12 AM

These were my first cloth diaper.  Affordable and easy.  I feel like they hold a fair amount.  My son is able to wear one for 2-3 hrs.  I have been using mine for a year.  They look pretty beat up, but I dried mine in the dryer every time they were washed.  If they were line dried they might have stayed in better condition.  They still work great though.  I grab these first if I haven't had a chance to stuff all of my pocket diapers after washing.  They have been a great diaper for the money.
    Doula_Mommy

by Doula_Mommy on Sep. 22, 2007 at 4:40 AM

I have used them. They worked fairly well,I just don't like the way they fit my DD. They are a good diaper for the price though. For a heavy wetter I would think you may want to add a doubler though.

kelllilee

by kelllilee on Sep. 22, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Decent diaper... not good for babies with skinny legs

RachaelsMommy

by RachaelsMommy on Sep. 22, 2007 at 12:08 PM

I'm phasing mine out as I get more diapers. They rub her legs really bad, but I think the ones I have are older.

BEAUSMOM.

by BEAUSMOM. on Sep. 23, 2007 at 11:05 PM

We like them and use them occasionally - we have never had problems with them, but we find pockets to be more our style right now. I'm just picky and dont like how big my sons booty looks in the AIO's

1MadelinesMama

by 1MadelinesMama on Sep. 23, 2007 at 11:27 PM

We used Kushies for the first month until my little one grew out of them.  They are not a bad choice for diapers, but we had more blow outs with these then with our BG AIOs.  All though there is elastic around the legs, they don't seem to seal well, and this is where the majority of our blow outs occured.

Aiden06

by Aiden06 on Sep. 25, 2007 at 9:19 PM

I have the kushies baby basic ones you need liners and covers for them. I really don't like them the Velcro closure doesn't ever want to stay shut. But yes they are very cheep i got mine off eBay for $49. that included shipping and there was eight of them that is why i bought them. but then you have to go buy all this other stuff just to keep from leaking i still have to use pins to keep closed and can't use at night because of leakage. but if you want to try them they have them at toysrus /babiesrus and walmart also the washable and flushable liners. maybe the aio are better let me know if you buy them and how they work.

brorie

by brorie on Sep. 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I really didn't like them.  I used the newborn size and she grew out of them in about 2 weeks (she was big).  So at that time I switched to pockets and resold my unused ones on ebay (where I got them).  They are cheap on ebay or at walmart there is a reason.  ALso my friend did not use the internet to buy here diapers so this is the only kind or AIO you can get in around here in the store.  So she used them from newborn through potty train (a long with prefolds/covers).  She had so many problems with them (stinky, velcro issues, bulky, leeky, etc.)  Also she said they did not hold up good enough for a second child so now she has to buy a new stash for the next baby (which doesn't make them so cheap).
  • Avarah
    by Avarah
    January 6, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I wanna update what I wrote up there back in July!!!

surprise mini

My baby's now 9 months old and in the SAME Kushies I had just bought! 6 months ago  He is on the very, very upper end of the scale for them, however, weighing in at 25 lbs!   I totally agree with Kay that these are shaped for chubawubba babies. :D

Contrary to what I said back in July, these ARE my go-to diaper for running errands.  They're easy to stick in a diaper bag and easy to stick in my wetbag.  They make for super-easy diaper changes on the go.

The no longer smell funky and any absorbsion issues I had were in my own head.  They *seem* to be not very absorbant, but I've never had any serious leakage issues and they've only "wicked" when I later realized that my baby's pants were tucked into the top of 'em! lol  I'd call that user error. :D

I love our kushies and I will buy more when he's absolutely outgrown these.  I hear the next size up is for MUCH bigger kids, so I'm trying to wait 'til Maxy's 30lbs. 

• Kickez
    by Kickez
    May 24, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I bought the Kushies - Reusable Ultra Diapers for Toddlers in the 5 pack from Walmart using the site to store p/u. When I bought them they were only $37, but I just noticed they've gone up $22 in the last 7 months - yiikes!

These diapers were HORRIBLE! I orignally purchased them for my DD (who was 19 mos at the time). First of all they were HUGE!! This is how they looked:

I mean there was NO WAY she could have worn any kind of non-knit pant over them, but that wasn't the biggest problem. They leaked - BIG TIME, this was due to two major factors, first there is no elastic at the waist - at all! A terrible fit all the way around. The second is the inner core is made from a polyester fiberfill type pading which has absolutly no absorbancy whatsoever! I know this because I actually took one of them apart to see if I could salvage the materials. Another problem is they have a stink issue, meaning they REEK of amonia after each use, even after stripping, I think this is due to the polyester fiber fill they try to pass off as an absorbant layer.

I can't really complain because I spent just over $40 (w/ tax) for 5 diapers, and because I was able to modify them to use for my 5YO who still wets the bed, I have gotten my $40 out of them. Moreover I can cut them up and reuse the outer layer for the training pants I plant to make for my DD so the materials are totally salvageable. For anyone who happens to have these, I would like to suggest two things to make these more functional: First add 1/4" wide swimsuit elastic to the back waist, there is enough of a hem to slip this in using a safety pin, and this will help you avoid poopy messes shooting out the back. The second thing: slit open the front lining at the waist and stuff in a more absorbant soaker pad (making it function like a pocket diaper), I personally cut out the stupied free floating lame piece of flannel that was attached at the back.

If you don't own these, DON'T waist $60 (+tax).

Cloth Diapering Mamas

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts