Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Samantha1114
Bacterial Vaginosis and Miscarriage
October 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Has anyone else had bacterial vaginosis and then had a miscarriage? I had gone to my obgyn five times last year w the same symptoms, and she never diagnosed me with anything. She always said that it was probably a yeast infection and to treat it as such. Well, bc of my symptoms, for the first time ever, I had difficulty getting pregnant bc it would hurt, etc. well, when I finally got pregnant in July, the symptoms were back again, but, again, I just thought it was a yeast infection, and treated it externally. When I started spotting, I went to the er, and they did a culture and diagnosed me with bacterial vaginosis. I really think that I had it all along, and my incompetent dr didn't diagnose me properly. I'm really upset about this bc she was my dr for 6 years and delivered 3 of my babies. I know that mc are common, but I can't shake the thought that my baby was healthy to start and then got infected by my infection, and that's what killed him or her. I was 10 weeks when I miscarried, and, I will never know bc we buried him/her already, but I want to know if anyone else ever had a similar experience. I have done some research online, and they say that bv can cause miscarriage and preterm labor...

Replies

• dawny36
    by dawny36
    October 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I'm not sure if bv can cause miscarriage, but it sounds like you need a new dr, she should of done a culture the first time you were in the office for that problem.

• Samantha1114
    October 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    Thank you. I have found a new dr...
  • iSMILEheCRIES
    October 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I have read also that BV can cause MC... but I had BV almost my whole first (healthy) pregnancy.  They treated it, it came back, treated it, came back... after birth it went away. If you have a hard time curing BV, both you and your partner need to be treated.  Good luck, and I truthfully don't have an answer, but I know it doesn't ALWAYS cause MC.

• Angela4boys
    October 12, 2012 at 6:19 AM

I'm sorry you are left with unanswered questions.  I am glad you got a new doctor.  We believe we lost our baby due to a misdiagnosed maternal infection as well.  I was diagnosed with pneumonia, and it turned out to be a fungal infection of the lungs...I was treated with 4 courses of antibiotics (which make fungal infections worse), before our baby died...I was 16 weeks pregnant, and  we'd already seen him on ultrasound at 14 weeks doing great.

• MommaBoop922
    October 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Im sorry you are going through all of this and for your loss.  Its good to hear you found a new doctor because that one seemed to be brushing you off a little.  I never dealt with bv while pregnant but I have been dealing with a lot of bladder infections.  I know they are very adiment at my doctors office to treat them and any infection to avoind even the possibility of it affecting the baby.  I wish I could tell you for sure either way but its hard to know.  Again Im sorry ((HUGS)) 

• gingerprincess
    October 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Yes. I had BV and four other bacterial infections. That is what caused my miscarriage. I had the opposite problem as you though When I went to the ER they did NOT diagnose me, but the doctor did, a week later. I lost the baby the day after that. If the hospital had diagnosed me and I had been on antibiotics sooner I wouldn't have lost the baby .

• purfectlilly
    October 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM

i'm not sure about bv and m/c but i am sure that your dr should have looked at your concerns closer. i had a similar thing happen to me while not prego. i kept getting what i thought what yeast infections back to back for 6 months. the dr kept telling me that it was a yeast infection. i finally walked into planned parenthood. that dr listened to me. i told her all the same stuff as my primary; painful sex, recurrent yeast infections... and she did a full exam, gave me meds. no issues since. i'm sorry you had to go through this, especially if it could have been treated earlier to set your mind at ease.

• gingerprincess
    October 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM

My first son, I had it on & offl ike that, he tried to come early 4 times, but otherwise was fine. This time it caused miscarriage. I don't know what the difference was.

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES:

I have read also that BV can cause MC... but I had BV almost my whole first (healthy) pregnancy.  They treated it, it came back, treated it, came back... after birth it went away. If you have a hard time curing BV, both you and your partner need to be treated.  Good luck, and I truthfully don't have an answer, but I know it doesn't ALWAYS cause MC.

• suetoo
    by suetoo
    Sue
    October 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Get to an infertility OB ASAP. I was treated for BV just because of freq UTIs with strep b, and didn't know, until it was too late, when my chronic abc pain and 4th miscarriage at 8-9 wks, that an endometrial biopsy with culture showed I had an infection with staph and strep in my uterine wall. I was found to have APS as well, and 7 yrs after my last miscarriage, dx with lupus.
  • Ladybugmama86
    October 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I am thinking that may be whathappened with my m/c. I am still having trouble with yeast infections and stuff.

I am lookin for a new dr as well.

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN