Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Featured Posts
Samantha1114
Bacterial Vaginosis and Miscarriage
October 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Has anyone else had bacterial vaginosis and then had a miscarriage? I had gone to my obgyn five times last year w the same symptoms, and she never diagnosed me with anything. She always said that it was probably a yeast infection and to treat it as such. Well, bc of my symptoms, for the first time ever, I had difficulty getting pregnant bc it would hurt, etc. well, when I finally got pregnant in July, the symptoms were back again, but, again, I just thought it was a yeast infection, and treated it externally. When I started spotting, I went to the er, and they did a culture and diagnosed me with bacterial vaginosis. I really think that I had it all along, and my incompetent dr didn't diagnose me properly. I'm really upset about this bc she was my dr for 6 years and delivered 3 of my babies. I know that mc are common, but I can't shake the thought that my baby was healthy to start and then got infected by my infection, and that's what killed him or her. I was 10 weeks when I miscarried, and, I will never know bc we buried him/her already, but I want to know if anyone else ever had a similar experience. I have done some research online, and they say that bv can cause miscarriage and preterm labor...

Replies

• dawny36
    by dawny36
    October 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I'm not sure if bv can cause miscarriage, but it sounds like you need a new dr, she should of done a culture the first time you were in the office for that problem.

• Samantha1114
    October 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    Thank you. I have found a new dr...
  • iSMILEheCRIES
    October 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I have read also that BV can cause MC... but I had BV almost my whole first (healthy) pregnancy.  They treated it, it came back, treated it, came back... after birth it went away. If you have a hard time curing BV, both you and your partner need to be treated.  Good luck, and I truthfully don't have an answer, but I know it doesn't ALWAYS cause MC.

• Angela4boys
    October 12, 2012 at 6:19 AM

I'm sorry you are left with unanswered questions.  I am glad you got a new doctor.  We believe we lost our baby due to a misdiagnosed maternal infection as well.  I was diagnosed with pneumonia, and it turned out to be a fungal infection of the lungs...I was treated with 4 courses of antibiotics (which make fungal infections worse), before our baby died...I was 16 weeks pregnant, and  we'd already seen him on ultrasound at 14 weeks doing great.

• MommaBoop922
    October 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Im sorry you are going through all of this and for your loss.  Its good to hear you found a new doctor because that one seemed to be brushing you off a little.  I never dealt with bv while pregnant but I have been dealing with a lot of bladder infections.  I know they are very adiment at my doctors office to treat them and any infection to avoind even the possibility of it affecting the baby.  I wish I could tell you for sure either way but its hard to know.  Again Im sorry ((HUGS)) 

• gingerprincess
    October 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Yes. I had BV and four other bacterial infections. That is what caused my miscarriage. I had the opposite problem as you though When I went to the ER they did NOT diagnose me, but the doctor did, a week later. I lost the baby the day after that. If the hospital had diagnosed me and I had been on antibiotics sooner I wouldn't have lost the baby .

• purfectlilly
    October 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM

i'm not sure about bv and m/c but i am sure that your dr should have looked at your concerns closer. i had a similar thing happen to me while not prego. i kept getting what i thought what yeast infections back to back for 6 months. the dr kept telling me that it was a yeast infection. i finally walked into planned parenthood. that dr listened to me. i told her all the same stuff as my primary; painful sex, recurrent yeast infections... and she did a full exam, gave me meds. no issues since. i'm sorry you had to go through this, especially if it could have been treated earlier to set your mind at ease.

• gingerprincess
    October 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM

My first son, I had it on & offl ike that, he tried to come early 4 times, but otherwise was fine. This time it caused miscarriage. I don't know what the difference was.

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES:

I have read also that BV can cause MC... but I had BV almost my whole first (healthy) pregnancy.  They treated it, it came back, treated it, came back... after birth it went away. If you have a hard time curing BV, both you and your partner need to be treated.  Good luck, and I truthfully don't have an answer, but I know it doesn't ALWAYS cause MC.

• suetoo
    by suetoo
    Sue
    October 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Get to an infertility OB ASAP. I was treated for BV just because of freq UTIs with strep b, and didn't know, until it was too late, when my chronic abc pain and 4th miscarriage at 8-9 wks, that an endometrial biopsy with culture showed I had an infection with staph and strep in my uterine wall. I was found to have APS as well, and 7 yrs after my last miscarriage, dx with lupus.
  • Ladybugmama86
    October 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I am thinking that may be whathappened with my m/c. I am still having trouble with yeast infections and stuff.

I am lookin for a new dr as well.

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts