Family Vacations & Getaways

Mandie183
Vacation Ideas
January 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Hello, I need help with vacation planning!  I hve never done it before, other than to travel to see my parents in AZ, so I just book air line tickets.  We are on some what of a budget, and I'd like to do something that is all inclusive, meaning food and drinks are included in the cost.  It is last minute idea, and we do not have passports so I do not think we can do anything to leave the states.  Does anyone know of any all inclusive resorts in the US?  Or sould I look at taking a cruise?  If a cruise is the best option, any cruise line that is better than the other?  Thank you for any pointers. 

Replies

• ddhb2007
    January 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM

You need a passport to go on a cruise if it doesn't stay in the US (Mexico, Carribean, Bahamas, etc.).  You might be able to go to Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands without a passport though since they are US territories. 

I've never stayed at an all-inclusive resort, and I'm not a cruise fan either.  Personally, I would pick a spot in the US that you've always wanted to see.  I usually investigate 2 or 3 locales, evaluate the cost of getting there (flight or driving), check out the average cost of hotels in the area, and add $40 per day per person for food.  I then add in the cost of major attractions we want to see, and check it against my budget.  Where I live, flights to Florida are pretty cheap, but it depends on what you want to do.

• tonijmccann
    January 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    You don't need a passport for Bahamas/Mexico/ect as long as the cruise starts and stops in the US. Carnival is the cheapest cruise and we love it. Norwegian is great too. I haven't been on RCL or Holland but those are two other cruise lines. When pricing them, remember they enclude all food! That's a great perk. They're really affordable.
  • RMT1995
    by RMT1995
    January 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Yes, "closed loop" cruises (they start and end in the same US port) don't require passports. Last year we did NY to the Bahamas, this year we're doing FLA to St. Thomas/St. Maarten and we aren't required to have passports.

I don't think many places in the US have "all inclusive" resorts in terms of drinks and EVERYTHING being included. If there are any, you probably won't want to go since you have a budget, they'll likely be super expensive.

Where are you located? When are you traveling? Both cruises we booked (2 adults, 1 child) came to about $2400 for a balcony with taxes, port charges and insurance, both trips being in April. Would be less for you if it's only two of you and you just want an inside room.

• Mandie183
    January 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    I'm in Michigan looking to go the end of march. I've done a little investigating and found trips for my husband and I for 1200. We do not need a room on the water, we just want out of the cold!!!Thank you for the suggestions!
  • tonijmccann
    January 23, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I'm in Michigan too. If you're looking into a cruise and want to go cheap, cruise from Baltimore and drive there. (depending on where you are in Michigan) That's what we're doing in a week and a half and it's only like a 7 hour drive. Beats flying.

• Mandie183
    January 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Quoting tonijmccann:

I'm in Michigan too. If you're looking into a cruise and want to go cheap, cruise from Baltimore and drive there. (depending on where you are in Michigan) That's what we're doing in a week and a half and it's only like a 7 hour drive. Beats flying.

What cruises leave from baltimore?

• RMT1995
    by RMT1995
    January 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

If you go to vacationoutlet.com you can put in your info (departure port, month, etc) and it'll give you a list of cruises that leave from there.

• tonijmccann
    January 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    The one we're going on goes to the Bahamas. (Freeport, Bahamas, Nassau, Bahamas, and Orlando, FL) I'm not sure where other ones go from Baltimore but if you are looking at Carnival, click advanced search and leave from Baltimore.

Quoting Mandie183:

Quoting tonijmccann:

What cruises leave from baltimore?

• Mandie183
    January 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thank you!

Family Vacations & Getaways