Family Vacations & Getaways

CityMom012
Hey Moms!
November 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Hey moms. My name is Leah and I'm new to CafeMom. So far, I love it! One of my favorite things to do is travel ti exciting places and now that I have a daughter, me and my husband can't wait to take her on her first vacation. However, she is only 8 months. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ddhb2007
    November 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM

My daughter's first vacation was to Las Vegas because my husband needed to go to a conference there.  It wasn't the best choice.  In fact, I won't go to another conference with my husband.  It's like vacationing by myself. 

Anyhow, the second vacation was Niagara Falls and Montreal, Quebec when she was two.  She was absolutely fascinated with Niagara Falls.  She also enjoyed the Butterfly Sanctuary.  We also went to the Biodome in Montreal which was fun.

At 3, we took her to Memphis, and she still talks about that trip.  She LOVES the Peabody Ducks!  However, I would wait until your daughter is older to go there.  It's quite the hoot to watch the Duck Master lead the ducks from their Duck Palace on the roof of the hotel to the lobby fountain.  They roll out a red carpet, and rope off the area.  We also went to Graceland and the Rock 'n Soul museum.  We spent one afternoon walking along the river, and went on a lighted carriage ride through downtown after dark. 

At 4, we went on our Natioanl Parks vacation.  We flew into Vegas, and then headed to California where we visited the Mojave National Preserve, Sequoia National Park, Kings Canyon National Park, and Death Valley National Park.  Then, because I was tired of the brown, rocky landscape, we headed to Wyoming to see Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone.  We stopped at Theodore Roosevelt National Park on our way home through North Dakota.  

At 5, we went to the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota.  We had an awesome time.  I thought it would be really cheesy, but it was tons of fun!  We're also going to Texas over Christmas, and we'll visit the San Antonio Riverwalk, the San Antonio Missions in the National Park program, the San Antonio Zoo, and SeaWorld.  We're also going to spend some time with family in Austin, and I'm hoping to see the capital and Zielker Park.  Then, for spring break, we're heading to Washington DC.  My daughter chose that over Disney.  (Yes, I know, I'm raising a geek.)  Anyhow, we plan to spend a substantial amount of time on the National Mall, visit the National Zoo, and hopefully we can aquire tickets to tour the White House. 

Truthfully, at 8 months, I'd keep it low key, simple, and fairly close to home.  My daughter doesn't remember her first two vacations, so I wouldn't go all out. 

• CityMom012
    November 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Quoting ddhb2007:

My daughter's first vacation was to Las Vegas because my husband needed to go to a conference there.  It wasn't the best choice.  In fact, I won't go to another conference with my husband.  It's like vacationing by myself. 

Anyhow, the second vacation was Niagara Falls and Montreal, Quebec when she was two.  She was absolutely fascinated with Niagara Falls.  She also enjoyed the Butterfly Sanctuary.  We also went to the Biodome in Montreal which was fun.

At 3, we took her to Memphis, and she still talks about that trip.  She LOVES the Peabody Ducks!  However, I would wait until your daughter is older to go there.  It's quite the hoot to watch the Duck Master lead the ducks from their Duck Palace on the roof of the hotel to the lobby fountain.  They roll out a red carpet, and rope off the area.  We also went to Graceland and the Rock 'n Soul museum.  We spent one afternoon walking along the river, and went on a lighted carriage ride through downtown after dark. 

At 4, we went on our Natioanl Parks vacation.  We flew into Vegas, and then headed to California where we visited the Mojave National Preserve, Sequoia National Park, Kings Canyon National Park, and Death Valley National Park.  Then, because I was tired of the brown, rocky landscape, we headed to Wyoming to see Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone.  We stopped at Theodore Roosevelt National Park on our way home through North Dakota.  

At 5, we went to the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota.  We had an awesome time.  I thought it would be really cheesy, but it was tons of fun!  We're also going to Texas over Christmas, and we'll visit the San Antonio Riverwalk, the San Antonio Missions in the National Park program, the San Antonio Zoo, and SeaWorld.  We're also going to spend some time with family in Austin, and I'm hoping to see the capital and Zielker Park.  Then, for spring break, we're heading to Washington DC.  My daughter chose that over Disney.  (Yes, I know, I'm raising a geek.)  Anyhow, we plan to spend a substantial amount of time on the National Mall, visit the National Zoo, and hopefully we can aquire tickets to tour the White House. 

Truthfully, at 8 months, I'd keep it low key, simple, and fairly close to home.  My daughter doesn't remember her first two vacations, so I wouldn't go all out. 

• CityMom012
    November 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    Sounds like some awesome trips! Very interesting places. Thanks for the ideas. You're not raising a geek...she will probably end up very intelligent because those trips are fun but at the same time educational. Good Work Mom!
  • Ambear72
    December 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Hi Leah!  We;come to the group!

Family Vacations & Getaways

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN