Parenting Positive Kids

paris2lmp
How involved are you? (scouts)
January 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM

This is my oldest sons 2nd year in cubscouts.  He really likes it....most of the time.  We (my husband and I) take turns taking him and sitting in on the meetings, we have helped organize trips to the fire station (my husband is a volunteer firefighter), attend as many of the functions as possible and help my son with the activities in his book as needed.  That is really the minimal amount of participation......I thought. 

Last night the pack master pulled the few parents aside that attend the meetings and announced that due to lack of parental participation we have had to postpone the pinewood derby races till further notice, the blue and gold banquet would also have to be cancelled if no one would step up and help organize it, and we have lost 1 scout and 2 scout leaders this year!  I had been injured and unable to attend quite a few meetings till just recently so all this hit me blind-sided!  He made the comment that "this is boy/cubscouts of america, not babysitters of america!  Parental participation is what makes scouts work!" 

I made a point of telling the new assistant pack master that I was willing to help out wherever was needed, but I needed advance notice on things and needed to be told what needed done.  Up to this point we came to meetings etc, but NEVER was there ANY mention that there was extra help needed!  And I'm finding that with my minimal participation, I'm one of the ONLY parents helping! 

So, I'm wondering if this is typical?  How involved are other parents in scouts (or other extra curriculars)? 

Replies

• MommyofSCC
    January 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM

BUMP!

• terri76
    by terri76
    January 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    Bump!
  • mysticalmalissa
    January 29, 2013 at 8:44 PM

We are not involved at all.

When they open their doors and allow any boy/young man, we may let our youngest go.

• Bluetick
    January 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    Sorry I have a dd :)
  • mrswillie
    January 30, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

We are not involved at all.

When they open their doors and allow any boy/young man, we may let our youngest go.

Thank you! This is my answer also. My 16yo ds is gay. The scouts are not gay friendly.

Parenting Positive Kids