Parenting Positive Kids

Cafe Steph
6-Year-Old Saves Her Dad's Life With Her Jelly Baby Candy - Do you think your kid could save your life?
January 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM

6-Year-Old Saves Her Dad's Life With Her Jelly Baby Candy

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 8, 2013 

lunchboxGet ready for your dose of happy for the day, because it's coming at you! A dad is alive today thanks to his 6-year-old daughter and the candy out of her lunchbox.

Didn't think candy could save a life, did you? But for Dave Fitzpatrick, who has diabetes, it was the best thing to prevent him from falling into a dangerous coma. Good thing little Lilly thought to grab the Jelly Baby and feed it to Dad!

The quick thinking kiddo also called 999 (the Fitzpatricks live in England), and an ambulance showed up to take over caring for Dad. I'd say she's earned hero status for this one.

At just 6, to keep that kind of clear head in light of one of the scariest moments of her life?

It's pretty darn special. To put this in context, let's remember, your standard 6-year-old still depends on their parents to tell them to do the most basic of tasks (go brush your teeth, put your shoes on, did you brush those teeth yet?). Forethought is not exactly their specialty.

This just drums home why we need to practice, practice, practice these sort of situations with their kids ... so they don't actually have to think out what to do. They'll already know.

We've done the "how to call 911" talk in our house several times over. But it looks like we'll be doing it again tonight!

How about you? Do you think your kid would be as savvy as little Lilly? Could they save your life?

Replies

• hunterskysmom
    January 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    My dd is still to little to understand right now but we will have the 911 talk when she gets a little older
  • johnny4ever
    January 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Yes he could

• TeeB
    by TeeB
    January 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Awesome!! My kids got the 911 talk starting at 3.

• mrswillie
    January 8, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    Yes
  • MamaMandee
    January 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Im pretty sure the 9 & 14 yr old could but not totally sure about the 4yr old. 

• Audreesmommy757
    January 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

im not sure what shes capable of to be honest...but i know audree wouldnt share her jelly babies....lol...those things are addicting

• SabrinaLC
    January 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I don't think my kids could.  :-(

• Bluetick
    January 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    I have no idea ???? I hope so
  • Meltopia529
    January 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    Mine just turned 2

Quoting hunterskysmom:

My dd is still to little to understand right now but we will have the 911 talk when she gets a little older
  • terri76
    by terri76
    January 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    Yes he could. He is 16 and is in a program at school to be an emt...thank goodness lol

Parenting Positive Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts