Parenting Positive Kids

emomother3
Biting and hitting how to get him to stop??
October 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I have 3 children two of which are 3 and 1.my oldest has a problem with biting and putting his hands on his little brother when i leave them in there room to play. I dont understand why all the sudden why he has started doing it but its getting worse and worse. i have found bite marks on my 1 year old and marks from where he has pinched him. I have tried smacking his butt and trying to explain hes not allowed to hurt his brother. i have also tried time outs and nothing seems to make him stop. what should i do ? any advice will help because nothing is working.                                  

shrugging

Replies

• bamababe1975
    October 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

That's usually the sign of a frustrated child, and around 2-3 they get more frustrated as they're learning and growing and testing new limits. Have you tried telling him firmly and simply NO BITING or NO HITTING and taking him away from the situation?

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

• alyssaT325
    October 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

seems your child is really very frustrated!!

• amonkeymom
    October 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I agree.  He's old enough to understand that biting, pinching and hitting hurt and he shouldn't be doing it.  Talk to him and be firm and consistent.

Quoting bamababe1975:

That's usually the sign of a frustrated child, and around 2-3 they get more frustrated as they're learning and growing and testing new limits. Have you tried telling him firmly and simply NO BITING or NO HITTING and taking him away from the situation?

• SabrinaLC
    October 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

He's frustrated.

Try to be around him more so you can stop it in the act.

My mom bit me and said I never bit again but I don't know if I agree with that approach

• timon95
    by timon95
    October 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    I agree with the above moms...he is frustrated and looking for attention. Put your foot down. He is old enough for small punishments....time out, take toys away etc. Have a talk with him and find out why he does it.
  • alliesmom112
    October 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

My dd has never had a problem with it. Good luck to you momma. 

• copperswifey
    October 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Luckily my kids never did that. Sorry I'm not much help. :)

• RavenDravenF
    October 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    My mom bit me back when I was doing that at that age and it worked but I was also drawing blood from who I bit
  • Kainalu55
    October 29, 2012 at 3:13 AM

my 2 year old is a biter, she started doing it when she was one.  She bites her cousin all the time!  I'm not sure how to get her to stop.  I've trtied timeouts and her pediatrician suggested putting a little tobasco in her mouth when she bites, but even that didn't work!

• emomother3
    October 29, 2012 at 6:55 AM

i have tried talking to him and giving him punishments they dont work and i heard of biting them back but i dont undstand how that is gonna make him stop biting his brother hes not biting me. i caught him in the act yesterday i yelled at him that it wrong to hurt his brother. what fustrates me  is that when you talk to him he undstands what he is doing and understands hell get in trouble but will still do it

Parenting Positive Kids