Parenting Positive Kids

lotuszen
I could use some advice...
October 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM

My Son is 5, and in Pre K.  I volunteer in his classroom, so I can see how he acts and such.  He never really seems to care that much I am there, he just does his thing and moves on...until recently...

Ever since his first day of school he has not wanted to pay attention to his teacher.  He knows how to write letters, number, and knows some colors, but for some reason he does not want to show her he can do it.  When he is asked to do work in class he will mess around and not do it unless someone sits with him.  

This last Tuesday when I went in, he was very clingy to me, which is odd, then he got into very big trouble Wednesday for saying bad words which I have never heard him say. Then Today he refused to even try to do his work and did not listen at all..

I know his teacher and she is great! How can I get my son to turn around??? He is not like this at home.

Replies

• LuvingRN
    October 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM
    Would it help if you weren't in the class? Just wondering if he's acting out because you're there.
  • jocob
    by jocob
    October 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM

You should talk to your son about what is going on .Ask him how he feels about how things are going I'm saying...If you talk with your child,you may get a lot of information out of him.My advice ....just listen!

• mrswillie
    October 12, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Talk to you son to try to get insight. Then talk to the teacher.

• labrax
    by labrax
    October 12, 2012 at 7:09 AM

This!

quote name="jocob" id="0"]

You should talk to your son about what is going on .Ask him how he feels about how things are going I'm saying...If you talk with your child,you may get a lot of information out of him.My advice ....just listen!

[/quote]
  • goddess99
    October 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I would stop volunteering in the classroom for a bit and see if that changes things.

• hunterskysmom
    October 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    I would try to talk to him first then if that doesn't help then i would stop going to his class
  • sukainah
    October 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Sounds like it would be a good idea to stop volunteering in his class and keep in contact with his teacher to see if his behavior would change for the better.

• .Angelica.
    October 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM

i agree.

Quoting jocob:

• KaylaMillar
    October 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I would just stop volunteering in his class. Maybe you could pick a different one. 

• lotuszen
    October 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Thanks to everyone who has responded...We have talked to him about what is going on, and he actually acts better when I am there.  I think it is him following one of his friends, which is normal for a 5 year old..I am going to try to get him routined into doing some yoga, which should calm him down :)

Parenting Positive Kids