Parenting Positive Kids

steffbar
The LIES!!!!
October 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM

My older step children (4 and 5) have started lying to get each other in trouble. One of them will do something wrong and then they both run to me saying the other did it. It takes a long time for me to get the guilty one to confess. They both end up sitting at the table or in their room for a long time. I feel bad knowing that one of them hasnt done anything and he's still being punished. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sweetlyblissful
    October 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Here's a bump. 

I hope it stops soon for you.

• SabrinaLC
    October 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I don't know, that's awful :-/

I hope it stops soon

• goddess99
    October 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Learn how to tell who's lying. Have them look at your eyes when they talk to you. If they start looking to their left, they are lying. I can always tell when my dd is lying to me. But I can also tell when my brother is lying to me by just talking to him on the phone lol it's a gift lol.

• steffbar
    October 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    lol wish I could do that.
  • MamaBear2cubs
    October 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Oh that's hard. I would make it a point when you find out who is the guilty one to only punish that child and not the other.

• stacyyork
    October 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Lying is always a tough one.  One thing I have learned is that lying is driven by attention seeking.  So, this says to me that the two kiddos are looking for attention in all the wrong ways.  When one comes and lies to you, you could say, "Wow, it looks like you two really need some attention, why don't you come hang out with me at the kitchen table.  We will read a book together."  It seems counter intuitive to give them positive attention for negative behavior.  However, that's what will stop the lying.  The more you "ignore the lie and not ignore the child" as Bryan Post tells us, the less they will lie.  Also, it's common for 4/5 year olds to lie because they don't really know how to filter their thoughts yet, so they spit out whatever pops into their head.  Good luck!

• kellynh
    by kellynh
    October 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    Lol... Hey again... Responded on the other post!! :)
  • LOswald0314
    October 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Implement a no tattle rule.  If someone tattles on the other they both get the punishment (sent to room, toy taken away, etc).

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    October 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I hear you!  We have problems with that too.  My oldest is a very good liar, I'm staying tuned in for answers.

• 4kidz916
    October 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

This seems like a good idea. 

Quoting LOswald0314:

Implement a no tattle rule.  If someone tattles on the other they both get the punishment (sent to room, toy taken away, etc).

Parenting Positive Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN