Parenting Positive Kids

Carmen S
Preparing for Fall
September 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Summer is over. Long live the summer.

I love summer for lots of things. For the beach, for the pool, for the freedom of no homework and loose bedtimes. For grilling and picnics, for biking and lounging. Fall brings with it homework, sports practices, games and a much tighter schedule. It can be much more work to plan for a party, and you really can't have a spur of the moment get together when you've got to worry about getting the kids up at 6 the next day for school.

But, that doesn't mean ALL fun is done! There are still a lot of awesome fun family activities that you can do in the fall - especially outdoors, because in most of the US, it's cooling off. It's much more enjoyable to be out with your family for the day when you aren't so worried about melting into a puddle of sweat.

I've been known to take my kids to the theme park after school on Friday. It's open until 8 PM, which means that there's plenty of time for them to ride. It's not boiling hot, and so I'm not resentful when they call, "Just one more ride!". We grab a dinner to go on the way out of the park, and it's a wonderful way to spend a Friday evening at the end of the school week.

It's still warm enough here to visit the beach, and the end of the tourist season means a much less crowded time. We are able to enjoy the beach, visit many of the tourist attractions, and not have to battle for parking. It's kind of fun to go to the fudge factory, and take that old-time family photo.

Picnics outdoors in the fall are so much fun. More moderate temperatures lend themselves to eating outside, and if you visit a "you pick" orchard, you can have the benefit of bringing home fruit for the week ahead.

Football games, especially if you tailgate, can be a great family activity. Sitting outside with friends and family, tossing the football and enjoying tasty treats is a terrific way to spend the day with family and enjoy the beauty of the fall.

How do you and your family transition from the summer mentality in preparation for all that fall will bring?

ŠiStockphoto.com/omgimages

Replies

• natesmom1228
    September 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM

We go to the local cider mill. It's only open in the fall and it's a great way to get into the fall mode. My son loves the cider slushies and donuts. They hot cider is amazing.

• MamaBear2cubs
    September 26, 2012 at 9:30 AM

No real prep here. It never really hits fall here it's hot up until December most of the time.

• Madelaine
    September 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Pumpkin patch!

• sukainah
    September 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM

We go to the pumpkin patch or farmer's market to buy pumpkins and rake leaves lol

• Rushn311
    September 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

We noticed fall is near when leaves change colors and go to the ground. Going to the pumpkin patch, apple orchard, getting costumes and decorating for Halloween inside/outside.

When it gets darker and are outside time is cut shorter. :(

• .Angelica.
    September 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

we don't really prep for it.

• Leelee1008
    September 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I hate the summer, mostly for the heat. If summer wasnt so hot and humid and just warm and nice I would be ok with it. We live in Delaware, we have all 4 seasons and I LOVE it! We will be going to the pumpkin patch very soon! I have already started decorating my house for fall.

• KristinRox
    September 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM

For us fall doesnt usually mean optimal temps for the beach.. it can get almost to the freezing point here. 

We do spend time outside though. Its nice to go to the apple orchards, and to the zoo, and to play in the leaves. 

• KristinRox
    September 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Getting costumes for halloween is another big big part of our fall. Halloween, with the pumpkins and the costumes is so much fun! 

Quoting Rushn311:

We noticed fall is near when leaves change colors and go to the ground. Going to the pumpkin patch, apple orchard, getting costumes and decorating for Halloween inside/outside.

When it gets darker and are outside time is cut shorter. :(

• countrygirlkat
    September 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I think school provides the biggest transition for us.  It gets us back into a schedule and a routine and it makes it where we need to schedule fun a bit more but we still have it!

Parenting Positive Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts