Parenting Positive Kids

Carmen S
Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes
September 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I started taking ballet class when I was seven years old. It was a light hearted, fun way to spend an afternoon or two. Somewhere around the age of ten, I decided that I wanted to be a professional ballet dancer. At twelve I began to take pointe class, and began to take class every day. By the age of fourteen, I was taking two and three classes a day, rehearsing for hours on the weekend and my entire life revolved around the dance studio. 

My feet were a wreck, my time at home non existent, and I lived in leotards and tights. I had more of a relationship with my dance teacher than just about anyone else in my life. I was really happy. I would dream for hours about the future. I'd get out of high school, move to New York City and dance with one of the big ballet companies. I'd be a member of the corps de ballet, then a soloist and then a principal dancer - and I'd be famous.

I forgot to take into account the body type with which I have been blessed. Ballet dancers are tall, thin, almost skeletal. They have no curves, no fluff, and most especially no breasts. I come from a family well endowed with both upper and lower padding. It was never in the cards for me to have a ballet dancer type body, not even if I starved myself. No matter how many master classes or auditions I attended, I heard the same advice - lose some weight. Never mind that my it was my body type to have curves - there was no way I'd ever realize my dream of being a professional ballet dancer.

When I finally realized this, I was devastated.

These days, I still love to dance, but I'm more often found on the dance floor with my favorite band or in a Zumba class - both areas in which no one cares that I have curves and padding. I dance all around my house on a daily basis and have dance offs on the Wii with my kids. I would love to go back to a ballet class, I still practice the turns and steps in the privacy of my house - but I think that my ballet dancing days are long gone.

That's not to say that I'm not happy in my life - on the contrary, if I'd become that ballet dancer I'd planned to be so long ago, I would have never met my husband or had my children. I'd be living a much different life. I don't regret the choices I made - I'm happy with who I've become.

Who were you back in middle school? In high school? Are you where you thought you'd be? What were the kinds of things that mattered to you? Do you find that they've changed?

©iStockphoto.com/kali9

Replies

• .Angelica.
    September 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

i don't think i've changed much since high school except being more mature.

• sukainah
    September 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I was different in middle and high school.  I was active in clubs, sports and cheerleading.  Was shy but stayed active with people.  Now I am still shy, but way less active.  I am hoping that when my sons begin their activities, I will be involved with it as well and get back into some sort of routine.

• TheBabyFactory4
    September 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Quoting goddess99:

I'm in a very different place than I wanted to be back then. Everything changed for me but I'm happy with everything.

• countrygirlkat
    September 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I always wanted to be a teacher growing up and continued to want to do that through high school and into college.  After my sophmore year though I realized that it wasn't for me so I became a business major and loved it.  Now I SAH with my kids and love every minute of it but I am happy to have the degree I do as a back up. 

• natesmom1228
    September 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Quoting goddess99:

I'm in a very different place than I wanted to be back then. Everything changed for me but I'm happy with everything.

Same here.

• MamaMandee
    September 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

In Middle School and High School is was very loud and outgoing. Did so much theater & choir I would maybe end up doing something with besides singing and dancing for kids as a nanny, then pre-school teacher and then a mom! 

• slw123
    by slw123
    September 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I was always a runner.  I'm not sure if I'm where I thought I would be because I never really knew where I was going.  I'm in a great place though.

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    September 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM

For sure.  I was going to be a single sucessful career woman.  I'm now a stay at home mom to 5!  But I'm so glad with what I've been given.  Who's to say I can't rekindle those dreams after the kids get older?

• Rushn311
    September 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I think I am still the same really. I was always giving, thoughtful, kind, sweet and bubbly as I've been described. I know that I have a backbone now and can stick up for myself.

• LOswald0314
    September 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I don't think I've changed a lot.  My personality and tendencies are pretty much the same.

Parenting Positive Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts