Parenting Positive Kids

Carmen S
You're My Star!
July 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM

All the world’s a stage - and who is the greatest star of your most favorite show? Why, that would be your kid! Every child has something unique, something that makes him special in your eyes, something that makes her your most favorite person with whom you can hang out. It can be tough, though, to let those very special people know how you feel about them, especially as they exit those cute baby years and become people in their own right. After all, it's super easy to pick up a tiny baby, cuddle her and tell her she's your most favorite person. It's a bit more difficult when that baby is a kid with body odor who has just slammed the door in your face for the third time that day. 

Ahem. Not that this has *ever* happened to me.

This week, let's take a moment to reflect upon what makes your kids the star of your life. Really focus on what makes your child unique and special, and tell them. Is it tough to do? Why not send them cards to help capture how much they mean and how they’ve helped shape your life? It doesn't have to be a card that's mailed, although that can be exciting for just about any of us to find in the mail. Rather, fill out a card for your child and leave it on her bed for her to find before she goes to sleep. Maybe prop in on the box of cereal he reaches for every morning, or leave it in the bathroom tipped against the mirror. I know that I have a stack of cards I've saved from when I was younger, and my kids do as well. It's a nice way to let someone know how special they are to you, one that they can save and use to reflect on - especially in the future tough times.

One of my kids has the quickest sense of humor I've ever seen. One is very thoughtful and does as much as he can for others. One is working more diligently than many his age, and one is struggling to figure out how to make sense of more mess than I'd ever want to tackle, and handling it with grace and courage.

What are your kids doing in their lives that is right and good and fills you with happiness? Take the time this week to let them know how you feel. What will you do to show them?

©iStockphoto.com/Feverpitched

Replies

• mallowcup17
    July 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

my kids are both very caring, interested in sports, learning and always wanting to help others. we try to show them everyday and have a wonderful support system that help us to show them how much they are appreciated

• Leelee1008
    July 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

my oldest son has done very well in baseball this year, we are very proud of him. Our middle son did well in school, he over came alot of issues and got a few awards. our DD is learning new things every day, and she makes us smile. we reward them with little things, like going out to eat, picking dinner, having a snack, praising them for their good doings.

• jessicasmom1
    July 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I take my time with DD showing her what she means to me, I wake with her everyday and walk with her to the bus stop until she goes and I am there every time she steps off that bus, We talk about the day , Dinner is ready when she arrives home. I tell her to be friendly with all and they will be friendly back to you. Tell her how beautiful she is and make her know  I am very glad to have her in my life. Manners are very important part of our lives.  I want her to be confident like myself and so far we are doing great , I hear what a darling child I have, so calm, and collective, very manner like. :-)

• slw123
    by slw123
    July 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Both of my kids are so thoughtful and sweet.  I will be taking time as soon as I am done typing this to let them know how proud I am of them.

• amy7243
    by amy7243
    July 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

My kids know they fill me with happiness :) I tell them all the time.

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    July 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM

My oldest daughter has been such a help to me.  I will make sure and tell her today.  Thanks for the reminder!!

• MamaMandee
    July 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Im proud of my kids for just being the wonderful kids they are! 

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    July 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM

My kids are older and are working hard to support their families.

• LOswald0314
    July 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM

My toddler is so silly and giggly it makes me happy.

• MamaBear2cubs
    July 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM

My kids are just growing and learning everyday. It makes me proud beyond words.

Parenting Positive Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts