Parenting Positive Kids

CafeMom Team
How do your kids communicate with their friends?
July 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

We gave moms the latest product from Hallmark, Hallmark Text Bands. The way the product works is kids create a message on their text band and then bump fists/high-five with a friend. Voila...the friend gets the message they typed and your child gets their friend's message.

Check out what these moms have to say about the Hallmark Text Bands.  Then,  let us know how your kids communicate with their friends.

For more information on Hallmark Text Bands, click here.

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

Replies

• millerbunch
    August 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I would like to thank Hallmark and Cafemom for the opportunity in trying out this new product :)

My daughter is 8 1/2 and just happened to have my besties daughter visiting when it came in, she is 9.  They were excited to try it out.. But first, me and my bestie tried it :)  It took a couple minutes to set it up and send a message.. the fist bump wasn't working too well, neither was the handshake.. but after a couple more times we got the bump down.  I personally did not care for the big red scrolly letters, it was a little hard to decipher certain letters.  

We handed them over to the kids and they played with them for about an hour.   They thought it was cool, but wished you could put more characters, other than the limit of 10.  They both do not own cell phones or any other texting device, so they are not to familiar with "text" talk.  

they really wanted to play the games, but really you would need more people to actually make it fun.  

Their take on the product: cool, but only played for awhile ,plus it was bulky on the wrist

My take on the product: it was a good idea and the concept was there, even though it was bulky and hard to read. 

i personally would not pay for these if i had seen them in stores.

• Vikki77
    by Vikki77
    August 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    My 8 year olds words were "I love them." He played with his 2 cousins, me, and his step dad. He loved teaching everyone how they worked and enjoys sending silly messages like "I'm king" "You're cool., and others. He wants to use them with me to practice his spelling and his spanish this year. I will say a word and put it in my band, have him out it in his band and then send them to each other, so he can see if he was right, and I can check his for errors. Sometimes the message doesn't want to send, and we have to high five a couple times, but it does eventually work. The fist bump works easy, but he doesn't like that. He says it will teach his 17 month old sister how to punch. Lol she loves to "attack" her brother and he'd like to keep that open handed. :)
  • MommyAkaTiffany
    August 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Thank you Cafemom and Hallmark for the chance to be in this influencer!

My 6 year old daughter received the text bands and her and and her 6 year old friend, Will played with them together. I read the directions and hoped that they would be able to play alone but they weren't. Both kids are really smart and they had a hard time writing and see they words and even harder time passing the words back and forth and kept asking for help.

I am bummed because my 6 year old, of course doesn't have a cell phone and I thought it would be fun for her to play with these but it really was more of a hassle. I wish I could give a better review but honestly had I bought these I would have taken them back to the store.

• motherslove82
    August 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I have to say honestly that my kids did not seem to be that into them. They were really excited when they first recieved them, but within a few minutes, they were "over it". My 9 year old stayed interested longer, but my 11 year old lost interest almost immediately. I think they may work better in larger groups (Like a school setting) where there are lots of children and messages to pass. When it was just the two of them, they got tired of it.

• mom2eg
    by mom2eg
    August 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Thanks so much to Cafemom and Hallmark for letting me try this new product out!!!

We got the 2 text bands quickly via UPS. My daughter is 8 1/2 and my son is almost 6 so we tried them out right away. I read the instructions and showed them how they worked. My daughter said "That's cool!" They do not have their own cell phones yet, but play with a kid's texting game on our ipod sometimes. Some of the letters were hard to recognize, and the buttons a little hard to figure out or push. I think they should be labeled.They were bulky, but I don't think they could really be much smaller to have a good display. I did like that they adjusted to fit pretty well, as both my kids have small wrists. They both really liked how messages were exchanged, they would make messages and change how they exchanged them by fist pumps, handshakes and high fives. We all though that was pretty cool. Sometimes it didn't work, and they had to do it a little harder to get the message sent. Overall a fun product, just not sure it would be something I would have bought. 

Some positives:

Adjustable

Exchanging messages via handshakes, fist pumps, and high fives is very neat.

Fairly simple once figured out. Great for kids before they have cell phones.

A cool comcept

Some negatives or suggestions:

Buttons labeled and/or easier to press

Display letters a little hard to read. Some letters (like C and Y didn't look right)

Should have pre-programmed words or text slang (maybe with a guide of what they mean)

Turns off to easily/fast

Games you can play on your own or with 2 players.

Ability to exchange a message over a short distance (to another room or a neighbor friend without touching)

Here's my kids enjoying:

• SLOmommy
    August 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    Thanks for letting us be a part of this!

After a quick tutorial with her, I gave the bands and instructions to my daughter (almost 9) and she played with our neighbor's kid (10).
    I wish I could say they loved them but they only played for maybe an hour and since then, I haven't been able to get my daughter interested in them so that I'd be able to even answer the checklist of questions.

She says: "I wish you could text without having to be so close. Talking is faster."

I'm getting that she feels the whole point of texting is to communicate with someone that you're not standing right next to.
    She does not and has never owned a cell phone but does occasionally do some sort of text/communication via her Nintendo DSi with the neighbor when they're both in their separate houses.

All in all, it was exciting at first but quickly lost all appeal unfortunately :(
  • Roo1234
    by Roo1234
    August 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM

We took these with us on a road trip.  The kids were amused and it kept them occupied for some time and even brought out a few giggles.

We did look at the games on the website, and if you had enough friends who also had them, it could be fun, but overall though, our kids (12, 10 & 7) said that while they were fun, they can't see playing with them very often.

• mommytoeandb
    August 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM

DD loved getting the text bands in the mail!  It took us a short while to figure it out and we're still trying to figure out how to do a space.  She did short messages like hello, you are a nut (to her brother, of course), and the like.  They were played with constantly for the first two days.  Still trying to explain that you don't have to whack the actual bands together.  Their pediatrician thought they were cool!  

She's 8, so it will be a loooong time before she gets a phone with texting.  I thought it was a cute way for kids to get the texting experience without exposing them to the big wide world.  I did have my kids sign the oaths and DD has done a similar oath for Girl Scouts, plus the internet safety ones at school.  We need to try out the games. 

Pros:  bad words are already bleeped out (didn't try it out, but I'm going with the literature), kids think they are fun, look cool

Con:  kids got frustrated when the other didn't want to send messages, can't use them at school

This isn't something I would normally buy, but it was a fun experience!  The kids had me sending messages too.

• WheelerWife
    August 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM

We recieved our text bands late last week. Firstly the boys were super excited to get something in the mail and were even more excited when they saw what it was. I couldn't even get a picture of the bands in the box before they had them out and on their wrists. 

We recieved a purple one and a black one. I gave one to my 10 year old ds and the other to my 11 year old ds because I felt they were an appropraite age for them. I also have an 8 year old ds and a 2 year old dd so the bands will be shared.

I wanted the boys to be able to operate them completely by themselves so I made THEM read the instructions and then show me how to use them. They both had the text bands figured out in minutes and were able to text each other and show me and their younger brother how to do it in no time. :)

The text bands work exactly like they are advertised. Each boy would put in a message, fist bump and the message was sent. They even tried it a few times with little sister to see if it would work with her tiny wrist and it did. :) My younger son got in on the texting too and got to practice his spelling to boot. 

They are a really really neat item but my boys were over them in a few days. Maybe I guessed wrong and they are too old or maybe we have too many other distractions around the house, ie. gameboys, tv, nice weather, bike riding, etc.

I'm hoping that they will pick them back up and try them out at school but seeing how we have no Hallmark here I don't think anyone else will have them. :( If not baby sister loves wearing them and pushing the button for it to scroll "HELLO" over and over again. 

Thank you Cafemom for the opportunity to try out these neat toys!!

• bmw29
    by bmw29
    August 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM

My son and his cousin showing off their text bands. They love them and have been playing with them all day. I have no idea what they're saying on them because they're being spies so it's a secret. LOL Looks like the text bands are a hit at my house. :)

Parenting Positive Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts