Parenting Positive Kids

Carmen S
Mom, The Disciplinarian
June 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Often, Mom can wear many shirts. Mom is a cook, a chauffeur, a teacher and a friend. She can be a sounding board, a peace maker, a calm force during a troubled time. What Mom is most often known for is most probably her least favorite job - Disciplinarian. No one likes to lay down the law, no one likes to enforce the rules - but like it or now, it must be done. It's a job that no one enjoys, but it can be a bit more entertaining when you find your child's actions humorous or memorable. 

My daughter was about three years old, and we had invited a friend over for dinner. I sat a plate of shrimp cocktail in front of our friend as we sat down to dinner, and my daughter climbed up into the seat next to him. We talked for a few minutes, and it never occurred to me to keep an eye on my daughter. When a break in the conversation opened up, my little girl tugged on our guests sleeve. "Mister! Mister!" she exclaimed, and pointed at his plate. "Don't eat the tails!"

She'd craftily and carefully reached under his arm as we'd been chatting, and eaten all of the shrimp off his pate - returning the tails back to his plate. We all burst into laughter, but I didn't want her to feel as if this was behavior to repeat.

Fortunately, she's 14 now, and she sticks to eating from her own plate only.

It's a funny story, although it doesn't paint either of us in the best light - but tales of necessary discipline rarely do. It's not often that discipline and humor can meld together, but when a moment of difficulty can be lightened with laughter it makes the day just a bit brighter.

What's the funniest or most memorable bit of mischief your kid(s) have gotten into? How did you handle the situation? What lessons were you able to teach your kids about right and wrong through the situation?

ŠiStockphoto.com/claudiad

Replies

• Samanthamommy
    June 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I do that sometimes too

Quoting dusky_rose:

When we went out to KFC for our son's birthday dinner last night, our son decided to blow bubbles in his pop and it splashed over his face. I just had to laugh and handed him a napkin to wipe up his mess. Then we had to tell him not to do it again because I had laughed instead of got mad.

• collinsmommy0
    June 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    I don't know, he's only 14 months & fairly mischievous already!
  • Bob192
    by Bob192
    June 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

My kids are busy!  It seems like there is always something to clean up or repair.  My son overflowed the bathroom sink at someone's house.  We barely knew that person and there were many other people over at the time.  She was very unhappy and didn't fail to show her unhappiness.  I was so embarrassed.  It was an accident, but it was because he was playing.  I talked to him straight forward about it.

• LOswald0314
    June 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    Thank goodness for those locks!!!
    Quoting daerca574:

• dusky_rose
    Sue
    June 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM

LOL You blow bubbles or laugh at your kid doing it?

Quoting Samanthamommy:

I do that sometimes too

Quoting dusky_rose:

When we went out to KFC for our son's birthday dinner last night, our son decided to blow bubbles in his pop and it splashed over his face. I just had to laugh and handed him a napkin to wipe up his mess. Then we had to tell him not to do it again because I had laughed instead of got mad.

• sweetlyblissful
    June 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM

My 6 year old would draw on anything whenever she got the chance.  When she draws on the walls now, she gets to wash it off.  She doesn't do it as often now, since she knows the hard work it takes to clean it up. 

• LucyyLouu
    June 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I love this article! It made me smile :)

• Meltopia529
    June 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I can't really think of anything

• sydney_106
    July 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    My 1-year-old (well, 12.5 months. Still a baby to me!) likes to throw his sippy cups when he's finished with them. When we went grocery shopping this week, he was throwing it every 2 seconds even if it was still full. I started paying attention and realized he was TIMING it and throwing the cup when a stranger passed our cart. Needless to say, I laughed and took the cup away at that point. His aim is better than you'd think!
  • longansmommy
    July 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM

BUMP!

Parenting Positive Kids