Parenting Positive Kids

Carmen S
Let's Take a Trip!
June 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My favorite time of the year is the summer. Not so much for the extreme heat and humidity of my town, but for the relaxed atmosphere and time off that many of us can experience for at least a little while. Especially if you have children, the school year is full of, "I have to be here at a specific time, most often with a lunch packed and a snack as well." Summer often means that the living is easy, the bedtimes and mealtimes are more relaxed and you might even take a vacation.

Yup, a vacation. Often referred to in my house as, "Mom doing the same amount of work in a different location."

Once upon a time, my husband decided that we'd take our kids - we had four at the time - to Disney World. We weren't flush with money, and so we needed to do this trip on the thrifty side. Somehow we ended up in the cheapest Days Inn possible, with mold in the shower and on the carpet. We were so cramped that we slept three kids sideways on a double bed. We went to a timeshare presentation for free Disney World admission tickets, and I'd be a liar if I didn't tell you that I really lobbied hard to buy that timeshare - the thought of putting the six of us in the room with two double beds for one more night was that unappealing.

Vacations are all about memories, and that one created a special set, right there. From then on, I had a specific set of requirements for any future vacations. Clean and quiet hotel rooms with plenty of space top the list.

Last year I spent three weeks driving with five of my kids from Virginia to Texas, stopping in several places to visit with friends. It was a great trip, but at the end, we were all ready to be home once again. This year we've decided to stay home and let everyone come to us. It might not be any cheaper, but it's definitely less crazy making - at least for me. So-called "Staycations" can have their own appeal - in years past, we've mounted a piece of poster board on the pantry door and made notes of enjoyable activities. Movie stubs, flyers and other memorabilia have also been glued on - with the end result an enjoyable reminder of our "staycation summer o'fun". It's neat to reflect back on all the things we've done. In the end, vacations are all about creating special memories with the ones you love the most. Doing it in a resort or theme park just puts icing on the cake.

If I had all of the money in the world, I'd probably take my kids to Sandals or Atlantis in the Bahamas - somewhere all inclusive with children's activities - but until that happens, you can probably find us at the pool.

Will you take a vacation this summer? Where will you go? Or will you enjoy more of a staycation? If you planned a dream vacation, what would it entail?

ŠiStockphoto.com/kali9

Replies

• hunterskysmom
    June 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    Me and the hubby just went on a day trip for our anniversary to Smokey mountains we plan on going up to MD in Sept as a family to see my family and that's about it
  • Rushn311
    June 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM

We are taking a vacation for two weeks in July. One week in MX with just hubby and I while the kids are in CA with their Grandparents. Then hubby and I will fly to CA, and spend one more week down there with his family

• elasmimi
    June 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM

We have already been to WDW and the beach, also Dollywood. Time to stay home and rest from vacations!

• terri76
    by terri76
    June 20, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Yesssss we have a vacation planned this year..not during the summer but the week of thanksgiving we are going on a cruise to Mexico for a week!!! We are alll so uber excited!!! Hmmmm a dream vacation would be to take my son where he wants to go which is paris!!!

• tayanddyl
    June 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM
    I want to take the kids to Destin, Fl. Hopefully we will get to go before school starts again
  • SabrinaLC
    June 21, 2012 at 8:01 AM

We haven't 100% decided on a vacation yet.  We're using all our extra money for a deck.

Our kids want to go to Natural Bridge, Virginia again but Dh says NO! lol  Our last two vacations were to Natural Bridge.

I'd love to take my family to Disney World but definitely will not be happening this year! lol

Parenting Positive Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN