Parenting Positive Kids

Carmen S
Summer Memories and Childhood
June 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

When I was a kid, we took road trip after road trip during the summer months. I have sharp memories of asking my mom what clothes I should pack, and she replied, "Just dump your short and shirt drawers into your bag. That should be enough."

We spent every summer that we could frolicking with cousins, running like unsupervised wild animals up and down country roads and played so hard that we crashed as soon as we hit the bed.I got to know my cousins, spend time with my grandparents, and learn that chicken doesn't come shrink wrapped in the freezer section for most of the world.

Looking back on it, I realize that my mom was a brave woman to drive halfway across the continent with three girls. I only really came to a more vivid understanding of this last summer, when I took a 2 week road trip from my house in Virginia to my dad's in Texas, with stops along the way in Georgia, Memphis and Mississippi. I'm still not sure how I managed to avoid being committed to a mental hospital after the trip ended.

We've all got our summer memories. Maybe you spent summers at the lake. Maybe you visited loved ones. Or, perhaps you stayed close to home and enjoyed the freedom afforded by the summer months.There's a lot to be said for staying home during the summer months - visiting the pool, water park or beach, or spending time at the library or Recreation center. Most book stores and libraries have summer reading clubs, and there are many local businesses that offer daily deals and inexpensive admission rates - especially valuable on those oppressively hot and/or nasty weather days.

There are an amazing assortment of activities available to fill the summer - there's no excuse for any mom to hear those dreaded words, "I'm bored!"

What are your favorite memories from your summers as a child. What did you do? What do you miss most? With whom did you spend the bulk of your time?

ŠiStockphoto.com/lisegagne

Replies

• cherryblosso883
    June 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I remember my papa letting me go for walks with him. we would take my dog penny out to the field with us (i still remember one of my outfits back then) it was awesome. Just a place to explore. It saddened me that they put houses in it very sad. I also remember my aunt and my cousin takeing my and my sisters to the most awesome places like the skating rink,renassance fair. it was awesome ( my mom was not that awesome. She had her moments but meh). aslo went to sunsplash it was fun as hell!

• nsanti
    by nsanti
    June 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I would spend a few weeks with my grandparents in Connecticut; They had this huge house--one you could just get lost in for hours, if you were playing hide and seek. You could walk out onto a back patio, and down about 15 steps onto a large back lawn, which led to a private lake. It had a long dock, and i used to canoe with this guy i met one summer, when i was fifteen, every day--who lived about 4 houses over--he was hot :)

• MrsLeftlane
    June 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Swimming with my Mom. She was so beautiful, and loved swimming. It was my favorite thing to do with my Mom.... (She passed away in 2000)

• KymberleeAnn
    June 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Riding my skateboard, playing with my friends

I loved the night my family and I spent the whole night in the park the adults kept a watch on us kiddies while we slept it was so fun the food was great and our dog was there too which was the icing on the cake.

• Queen_Bree
    June 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM

The Summer reading program at our local library is where I loved to be every Summer... I would ride my bike there when my Mom went to work and come home in time for dinner. I Loved it and my mom did too because she didnt have to pay a baby sitter... 

One Month out of every Summer I spent with family in California. We would travel from there to different places and see sites like the Grand canyon or take camping trips. My favorite place to go was Cape Cod. 

I miss my GrandMother most. She always made every trip lots of fun.

• cupomeow
    June 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM

For me it has to be all the glorious summers spent in the Hampton's. Or frolicking on the beaches of the French Riviera.

Ok, not really. Vacations in the big yellow station wagon in days before seatbelt laws when you could stretch out in the back. Drive-in movies. Learning to ride my bike, the one with the banana seat with the clouds on it. Making a race-car with a rolling luggage rack, a skateboard and duct tape-no helmet. Climbing trees. Going on hikes in the woods. Going to the park. I remember that I wanted a slip-n-slide but my parents could not afford one. My Daddy went to the garage and found a rather large sheet of plastic painters tarp. He placed it on the hill next to our house and put the hose so the water would flow all over it. That was my slip-n-slide. It was better than anything bought in the store because it was so big my sister and I and the neighborhood kids could go down it side by side and have races!

• Army_Mom_2_Boyz
    June 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I remember before my dad got sick I would go to his house every weekend and we would go out on the lake behind his house and go fishing. Then he would make me steak and homemade french fries and ice cream shakes for dinner. I looked forward to going over there every weekend. I miss that, and I miss my daddy :(

• miabelladebra
    June 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

We camped on the beach and this was before the days of RV's. We had a small van and 5 people. My Dad was a fisherman. I have the strongest memories of The music on: Rolling Stones, Beach Boys , Bob Seger and Bee Gees  in particular.

I remember  eating my lunches on the softest sand, walking the dunes to collect shells, swimming to cool off, jumping waves and screeching in delight, stickball  games with the other "beach kids" ...then that magical time of day...the sun setting, the smell of  bonfire wafting through the air, the roasting marshmallows and sitting on the dunes with the kids while the grown ups chatted..... awesome memories. It's no wonder I absolutely LOVE the beach and take my kids as often as possible. It's a place of utter serenity to me, mixed with magic and nature and sights and smells that  no one should miss out on.

• mom467years
    June 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

my two favorite memories are...running in the rain, might sound boring but when we were kids and had no lightning...we could go out a just get soaked, play in puddles and splash each other, just a fond memory.

The other is our summer christmas'....a family reunion where we actually had a christmas eve around the campfire and we picked names out of a hat and could only spend 10 dollars on a gift for the person we picked...so much fun...oh yeah, we always had a pinata too

• Samanthamommy
    June 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Water balloon fights

Parenting Positive Kids