Military Families

Featured Posts
SAHM927
Husband considering the Army **update
by SAHM927
June 29 at 9:28 AM
I need advice. My husband will be 27 next month and has always had a desire to join the military. He is currently a paramedic and is looking at doing something similar in the military. The Marines would not enlist him as active duty because we have 2 daughters (3y/o & 8 months) but the Army said they would. The recruiter said with his education he would likely enlist as an e-3 and possibly walk right into a combat medic position after training. Does this sound right or is he sugar coating?

Also what has been your experience with transitioning with young children? I'm currently a Sahm but am attending school while family watches our girls and I won't have that luxury on base. What is daycare like? Housing? Wait lists? Is the Army a good choice?

Any advice would be great!

**We spoke with a Navy recruiter today. They said we'd have to have a waiver for 3 dependents but he didn't see an issue. Dh scored well on the practice test and eventually the conversation led to Aviation Rescue Swimmer. I feel comfortable with choice. It can be contracted in his enlistment papers, and it would be up to him to pass the 2 years of training. The attrition rate is about 22%. There are other interests to him as well in the Navy. We are still discussing things but this is what we are thinking about. Thoughts?

Replies

• illogicalkat
    June 29 at 9:35 AM

The Marines don't have their own paramedics anyway, they use Navy Corpsmen. And yes, if he has an associate's degree or higher, or at least a certain number of college credits, he can enlist as an E-3. In pretty much every branch.

Whichever branch he does go to, though, he needs to make certain that his job is stated on his enlistment contract. (This is not difficult to do. I actually don't know of any branch that won't list your specified job/MOS/rate on your enlistment contract.)

• cocoroo
    by cocoroo
    June 29 at 9:36 AM

My dh joined the Army when he was 21, he turned 22 in basic.  Our children were 6, 2 1/2 and I was 5 months pregnant. It has been good for us.  My dh has 13 1/2 years in now.  We are stationed in Germany now, but before this it was just Georgia and Washington state.  Your dh will have to go to basic training and then AIT.  Then, you will move to your permanent station.

• ReadWriteLuv
    June 29 at 9:40 AM

Unless you are going to be finished with school before your husband is finished with both basic training, then medic school, your best bet is to switch to online classes. Either that, or you let him go and stay behind. If you rely heavily on your family, it may be a better option. You have no guarantee that he won't get through both school and training, be assigned to a duty station, and then immediately deploy for a year. My advice is to just stay where you are, with your family, and then see where the chips fall. Lots of people just end up moving back home when they discover their spouse will be gone for a year or two, anyway.

• mom2jessnky
    June 29 at 9:47 AM

Daycare, Housing, Wait Lists, etc all depend on the base & what you need. 

Where I'm at now if you need housing that allows dogs you're looking at a 6 month wait, if you just need a house or apartment and don't care you'll get something right away but won't have much say in it (they might give you an area to choose but not your house) daycare here has a HUGE waitlist on base, there just aren't enough providers.

But at our last duty station the CDC had immediate availability, there were tons of in home providers (same deal as using the CDC but it was a person doing it out of their house), housng would give you 10 or so houses to pick from, unless you wanted the one hot housing area (why people wanted that crap I still don't know) but even then you'd get right in.

So it just depends. My DH is in the Marines so I can't speak to if the Army is a good choice or not, it depends on you and your family.

• SAHM927
    by SAHM927
    June 29 at 10:12 AM
    Ok thank you. I'm worried about the long deployments with the army. It's not the life style I envisioned for our family. I think I'd feel more comfortable with shorter deployments like the Air Force but there isn't anything other than pj that he would enjoy doing.

Quoting illogicalkat:

The Marines don't have their own paramedics anyway, they use Navy Corpsmen. And yes, if he has an associate's degree or higher, or at least a certain number of college credits, he can enlist as an E-3. In pretty much every branch.

Whichever branch he does go to, though, he needs to make certain that his job is stated on his enlistment contract. (This is not difficult to do. I actually don't know of any branch that won't list your specified job/MOS/rate on your enlistment contract.)

• SAHM927
    by SAHM927
    June 29 at 10:13 AM
    My husband won't make a career out of it I know. What has it been like on your end? Do you work, stay home? What was it like being alone during deployments?

Quoting cocoroo:

My dh joined the Army when he was 21, he turned 22 in basic.  Our children were 6, 2 1/2 and I was 5 months pregnant. It has been good for us.  My dh has 13 1/2 years in now.  We are stationed in Germany now, but before this it was just Georgia and Washington state.  Your dh will have to go to basic training and then AIT.  Then, you will move to your permanent station.

• SAHM927
    by SAHM927
    June 29 at 10:15 AM
    Is there any was they would give you a heads up that that may happen? Because that would really piss me off if we moved only for him to get deployed immediately.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Unless you are going to be finished with school before your husband is finished with both basic training, then medic school, your best bet is to switch to online classes. Either that, or you let him go and stay behind. If you rely heavily on your family, it may be a better option. You have no guarantee that he won't get through both school and training, be assigned to a duty station, and then immediately deploy for a year. My advice is to just stay where you are, with your family, and then see where the chips fall. Lots of people just end up moving back home when they discover their spouse will be gone for a year or two, anyway.

• SAHM927
    by SAHM927
    June 29 at 10:16 AM
    How are the daycares and housing? What about doctors and hospitals?

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Daycare, Housing, Wait Lists, etc all depend on the base & what you need. 

Where I'm at now if you need housing that allows dogs you're looking at a 6 month wait, if you just need a house or apartment and don't care you'll get something right away but won't have much say in it (they might give you an area to choose but not your house) daycare here has a HUGE waitlist on base, there just aren't enough providers.

But at our last duty station the CDC had immediate availability, there were tons of in home providers (same deal as using the CDC but it was a person doing it out of their house), housng would give you 10 or so houses to pick from, unless you wanted the one hot housing area (why people wanted that crap I still don't know) but even then you'd get right in.

So it just depends. My DH is in the Marines so I can't speak to if the Army is a good choice or not, it depends on you and your family.

• ReadWriteLuv
    June 29 at 10:20 AM

No, there is no heads up. It's one of the "adventures" of military life. There are never any guarantees, and lots of situations are very short notice. There is a member of this group whose husband was gone for a significant amount of time, came home, and then less than a week later was sent out again for what was supposed to have been one week, that has now turned into a minimum of 3 months. 

In the Navy they tell you deployments are supposed to be 6-9 months, but with work ups and DETS it is really a year. They are gone 2 weeks, home 1 week, gone 6 weeks, home 3 days, gone 8 weeks, home 2 weeks, until they actually leave for what is supposed to be 6 months, but often times turns into more. Once they are gone it's no better, the day they are supposed to come home changes, sometimes by the hour. You have to learn to cope and adapt, or you'll never make it as a military wife. You just roll with the punches, and get very comfortable with being alone.

Quoting SAHM927: Is there any was they would give you a heads up that that may happen? Because that would really piss me off if we moved only for him to get deployed immediately.
    Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

• USAFamily
    June 29 at 10:20 AM
    Typically no. They deploy when they deploy.

Quoting SAHM927: Is there any was they would give you a heads up that that may happen? Because that would really piss me off if we moved only for him to get deployed immediately.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts