Military Families

Featured Posts
darbyakeep45
Speaking of having a plan...
September 14, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Do you think your DH will retire at 20 years or stay in longer?  (Obviously for those service members who do plan to retire and not get out.)  Do they have goals for their career path?  Staying until x amount of years?  Retiring at a certain rank?  Or do they really care?  

Replies

• Mrs.Pedro
    September 14, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    My husband wants to make it a career, so 20 years or possibly more if he feels like it and can stay in. He is kind of aiming to be a master sergeant.
  • darbyakeep45
    September 14, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Nice!  Master Sergeant?  Is that Army?  Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Army terms:)

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

My husband wants to make it a career, so 20 years or possibly more if he feels like it and can stay in. He is kind of aiming to be a master sergeant.

• Mrs.Pedro
    September 14, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    It's Marine Corps :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Nice!  Master Sergeant?  Is that Army?  Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Army terms:)

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

• USAFamily
    September 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    My husband has a better future outside the Air Force, so he will retire at 20 and go civilian.
  • darbyakeep45
    September 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Yeah...obviously I know nothing about Marine Corps either!  LOL!

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

It's Marine Corps :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

• darbyakeep45
    September 14, 2013 at 7:07 AM

That's nice he realizes that and is planning for the future.  How long has he been in now?  

Quoting USAFamily:

My husband has a better future outside the Air Force, so he will retire at 20 and go civilian.

• USAFamily
    September 14, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    16 years. He's achieved the rank he'd be happy to retire at, if he goes any higher he would have to extend his enlistment which he doesn't want to do. So our military life is winding down- it's a weird feeling!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

That's nice he realizes that and is planning for the future.  How long has he been in now?  

Quoting USAFamily:

• USAFamily
    September 14, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    16 years. He's achieved the rank he'd be happy to retire at, if he goes any higher he would have to extend his enlistment which he doesn't want to do. So our military life is winding down- it's a weird feeling!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting USAFamily:

• darbyakeep45
    September 14, 2013 at 7:11 AM

What a great feeling you and he must have:)  Sounds like a very successful career!  

Quoting USAFamily:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting USAFamily:

• gunsgirl
    September 14, 2013 at 7:35 AM

DH will be retiring at 23 years, he retires in OCT 2014. he will get a 54% disability rating from the VA. ( he has already started the process and the 54% is not exact but is what is expected for his injuries and problems it will not be less than than 50% and could be as high as 60%)

He will retire at E8, he needed to retire at e8 to not have to get a full time job when he retires. he will only need to get a part time job working 25 hours at 10 dollars an hour.

he does have feelers out for 3 gov GS jobs, all three are GS 12-13 and 14 jobs. but he does not know what he wants to do yet.

he wil have 4 1/2 months of terminal leave to figure it out, he will leave the CG from a very high cost of living area so will collect the BAH from that area for those months on terminal leave ( the BAH is over 1200 more than our mortgage)

we also have income property and that income is about 1700 dollars a month after expenses.

we want to have another 4 units before 2019 and then we both can actually stop working.

in the last 4 years we have concetrated on paying down the mortgage, and have taken 7 years off the loan and will continue to do that until he retires, if he gets a GS job we will pay the house off in 5 years and fulty retire. 

LOL this is the plan any way. we will see if 10 years of planning plays out or not :)

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN