Military Families

Featured Posts
Mrs.Brugger
A million questions. (OK maybe just 2)
June 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Please look past my ignorance on the subjects, but I just need help. I have no idea what's going on.

I was planning to fly down for when DH arrived back from overseas. I have a window of when he could be arriving, and I talked with a friend/another spouse and she said i could stay with her until DH arrived to save me the cost of staying in a hotel by myself for possibly a few days before DH got there. ...She texted me tonight and said her dad is unexpectedly flying down and staying for the whole MONTH so now I'm going to be at a hotel. Which is fine. It was amazing of her to offer in the first place. Which puts me at staying in a hotel for 2+ weeks while DH and I visit before I fly back up home. So I want to ask...

Wives are NOT allowed to stay in the Geo Bach barracks correct? I'm assuming not...since the whole reason they're in there is because family is elsewhere, so if I'm there, he can't be there. Right? We HAVE to stay in a hotel while I'm visiting?

Also...anyone know of cheap and possibly military discounted websites to get plane tickets? I found militaryairfare.us but I'm very nervous using these types of sites because I've never heard of them let alone used them before. I'm terrified it's going to turn into some sort of scam or something, IDK. 

I'm horribly overwhelmed.

Replies

• chrlstoncharmed
    June 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    No, you can't stay in the barracks. He could stay with you at a hotel but that's out of your pocket. Military airfares are a farce. They aren't any cheaper than the lowest rates offered. Do you absolutely have to go? Maybe it would be better to wait until block leave and he could travel home to you.
  • Mrs.Brugger
    June 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM

i dont HAVE to but i certainly want to. and he doesn't know if and when he'll get block leave. it's just a few of the guys  in his unit coming back early, the guys who are getting out by the end of the year are being brought back early. Otherwise I could be waiting until mid-October to see him. He can request a leave after the reintegration training or whatever it's called, but there's no knowing IF he'll get it and when it would be. Especially since they're already getting home & out early.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

No, you can't stay in the barracks. He could stay with you at a hotel but that's out of your pocket. Military airfares are a farce. They aren't any cheaper than the lowest rates offered. Do you absolutely have to go? Maybe it would be better to wait until block leave and he could travel home to you.

• SusanD
    by SusanD
    June 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    There is no such thing as military discounts with airfare. There is such a thing as a military fare basis code when the ticket is issued. What that means though is that it's an unrestricted or low restriction ticket. This is a benefit when it comes to changing or cancellations on your travel. So with your normal ticket you can't typically get a refund and it costs 100.00 plus difference in airfare to make changes. That isn't the case with these tickets. However they are usually sold at a higher price than the lowest cost ticket.

I hope that makes sense.
  • Mrs.Brugger
    June 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM

haha umm. sort of?

Quoting SusanD:

There is no such thing as military discounts with airfare. There is such a thing as a military fare basis code when the ticket is issued. What that means though is that it's an unrestricted or low restriction ticket. This is a benefit when it comes to changing or cancellations on your travel. So with your normal ticket you can't typically get a refund and it costs 100.00 plus difference in airfare to make changes. That isn't the case with these tickets. However they are usually sold at a higher price than the lowest cost ticket.

I hope that makes sense.

• SusanD
    by SusanD
    June 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    Lol a military ticket costs the same as or more (typically) than the lowest priced ticket because it doesn't have all of the penalties that your typical ticket does.

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

haha umm. sort of?

Quoting SusanD:

I hope that makes sense.

• Mrs.Brugger
    June 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM

ahh there ya go. lol. that's what i was thinking all of that meant.

Quoting SusanD:

Lol a military ticket costs the same as or more (typically) than the lowest priced ticket because it doesn't have all of the penalties that your typical ticket does.

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

haha umm. sort of?

Quoting SusanD:

I hope that makes sense.

• TonyaLea
    June 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM

No help on the military discounts on tickets, but as far as where to stay, does the army have on-base hotels?  I know in the navy there is typically a Navy Lodge on all the larger bases where family can stay.  It is typically cheaper than staying in a hotel out on the town, and they usually have a kitchenette so that you can cook and save money on meals.

• Mrs.Brugger
    June 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I know there's one on base, but my parents stayed at one off base when they came down in Oct and with the mil discount they said the price was really good. However IDK if they had a kitchenette. THATwould be awesome.

Quoting TonyaLea:

No help on the military discounts on tickets, but as far as where to stay, does the army have on-base hotels?  I know in the navy there is typically a Navy Lodge on all the larger bases where family can stay.  It is typically cheaper than staying in a hotel out on the town, and they usually have a kitchenette so that you can cook and save money on meals.

• momtimesx4
    June 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Keep in mind that arrival times will vary and even then they might land stateside and then still need to get back to home station.  Then a couple of days to process paperwork, clear medical, etc. Then leave will start.

My last deployment we didn't get released until a couple days after "getting home" for a 4 day pass, then another week of processing.

• Mrs.Brugger
    June 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    Quoting momtimesx4:

Keep in mind that arrival times will vary and even then they might land stateside and then still need to get back to home station.  Then a couple of days to process paperwork, clear medical, etc. Then leave will start.

My last deployment we didn't get released until a couple days after "getting home" for a 4 day pass, then another week of processing.

We're not expecting a leave. I just want to be there for him.

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts