Military Families

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Cost of Living.....really??
by Anonymous
June 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Have you ever been stationed in one of those places where the cost of living just just doesn't meet the local market? I am in one right now! It is so frustrating. I feel like we can't ever get ahead right now.

Replies

• darbyakeep45
    June 24, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Oh I see...interesting.  It was much higher in Hawaii back when we lived there...so stinkin' expensive to live there!

Quoting SusanD:

Yep, but it's not much....less than 200.00

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I had no idea you get COLA in Boston...interesting.  We are Navy and got COLA when we lived in Hawaii, but I didn't realize you could get it on the mainland.  Interesting...

Quoting SusanD:

Yes because that is his duty station zip, but if he doesn't mind a commute then your actual cost of living goes down considerably. Either way you still get the 2500'ish BAH as well as COLA.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do live outside of Boston, but we get Boston rate. 

Quoting SusanD:

It's a lot cheaper if you move out of Boston, and there are plenty towns around Boston with a much lower cost for housing, etc. that's what I would suggest.

• UCFknight
    June 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Hawaii was the same way. And it was a long wait list for housing as well. We just moved to MD though and were able to find a home $615 under our bah. good luck. we lost a lot of $$$ while living in hawaii waiting for a house to open up on base. beautiful place to be, but I am glad to be in a place where we can finally pocket something.

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts