Military Families

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Cost of Living.....really??
by Anonymous
June 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Have you ever been stationed in one of those places where the cost of living just just doesn't meet the local market? I am in one right now! It is so frustrating. I feel like we can't ever get ahead right now.

Replies

• MM23
    by MM23
    June 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM

It's like that in ND too.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

We're in MD and our rent is just as much. And we live pretty far out too,  DH has about a 40 minute commute. 

Quoting Allebas:

HOLY HELL!!! $1900 just for RENT?? Are you serious???? That is INSANE!!! Glad we don't live in Mass!!! Good luck!! I hope you find a job soon!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't mean to post annon, yah we are stationed in Mass right now,  recruiting duty, just outside of boston, crazy exspensive here.  And it stinks.  I have been trying to find a job, but even for the basic things they want a degree, and then to find someone to watch my dd. WOW exspensive.  It is like we make just enough to pay, hell rent here is $1900. Everything seems to be more exspensive here.  Insurance is off the wall, electric is higher....everything even food!! I have never seen such exspensive food!! OMG!!! IDK...I think I just needed a venting moment.  I have never looked for summer to be over so fast just so I can hopefully find a job during school hours.  I don't care if it is target or walmart or something....Just a little extra money!!  Oh well.... I guess I need to get my VA stuff done soon....

• SusanD
    by SusanD
    June 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    How many miles outside of Boston are you living? If you live somewhere like Braintree or similar then the cost is still going to be up there.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    June 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Yup, it is crazy. And everything seems high here.  Water is included, and lawn care, though I would much rather have plowing included :) Add in plowing cost and heat in the winter time...yah it adds up very quickly.  I should say I have a degree but not something I can use here. 

Quoting Allebas:

HOLY HELL!!! $1900 just for RENT?? Are you serious???? That is INSANE!!! Glad we don't live in Mass!!! Good luck!! I hope you find a job soon!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't mean to post annon, yah we are stationed in Mass right now,  recruiting duty, just outside of boston, crazy exspensive here.  And it stinks.  I have been trying to find a job, but even for the basic things they want a degree, and then to find someone to watch my dd. WOW exspensive.  It is like we make just enough to pay, hell rent here is $1900. Everything seems to be more exspensive here.  Insurance is off the wall, electric is higher....everything even food!! I have never seen such exspensive food!! OMG!!! IDK...I think I just needed a venting moment.  I have never looked for summer to be over so fast just so I can hopefully find a job during school hours.  I don't care if it is target or walmart or something....Just a little extra money!!  Oh well.... I guess I need to get my VA stuff done soon....

• Anonymous 1
    June 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM

We do live outside, but this is mass where 7 miles takes 30-40 mins to make, and sorry there is no way in hell I would move to a place like brockton to get a lower rate.  This is pretty much it for where he is.  Cola isn't that much like an extra $100 and we don't get quite that much in BAH.  There are cheaper places to live around here but I am not living in the ghetto either

Quoting SusanD:

Yes because that is his duty station zip, but if he doesn't mind a commute then your actual cost of living goes down considerably. Either way you still get the 2500'ish BAH as well as COLA.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do live outside of Boston, but we get Boston rate. 

Quoting SusanD:

It's a lot cheaper if you move out of Boston, and there are plenty towns around Boston with a much lower cost for housing, etc. that's what I would suggest.

• anlei05
    by anlei05
    June 23, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Like a previous poster I'm also in MD and rent is crazy where I am. We pay $2300 for the house we're in. *sigh*
  • Anonymous 1
    June 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Yah that is crazy, it is exspensive there too!  I would like to meet the people that come up with the BAH and Cola rates some times and ask what the hell!!!! 

Quoting anlei05:

Like a previous poster I'm also in MD and rent is crazy where I am. We pay $2300 for the house we're in. *sigh*

• SusanD
    by SusanD
    June 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM

LOL yes, traffic is bad in areas around Boston and in those areas it does take a while to drive anywhere. However, you pay for convience. There are plenty of places that aren't "ghetto" in MA. I mean hell, I'm not suggesting that you live in Fall River or some place similiar. What I am saying is that if the cost of living where you live bothers you, then the option is to commute. There are plenty of nice areas that are a farther commute. I'm quite familiar with how long of a drive it is into Boston, around Boston, and from anywhere like the Cape, Providence, Salem, Dartmouth, Warchester, Pawtuckett, etc to Boston. You prefer convience over price, so you choose to live closer to Boston.

Quoting Anonymous:

We do live outside, but this is mass where 7 miles takes 30-40 mins to make, and sorry there is no way in hell I would move to a place like brockton to get a lower rate.  This is pretty much it for where he is.  Cola isn't that much like an extra $100 and we don't get quite that much in BAH.  There are cheaper places to live around here but I am not living in the ghetto either

Quoting SusanD:

Yes because that is his duty station zip, but if he doesn't mind a commute then your actual cost of living goes down considerably. Either way you still get the 2500'ish BAH as well as COLA.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SusanD:

It's a lot cheaper if you move out of Boston, and there are plenty towns around Boston with a much lower cost for housing, etc. that's what I would suggest.

• Anonymous 1
    June 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I live in Holbrook and DH works in Brockton.  They have to stay so close, it takes him 30-40 min some days to get there with traffic and they complain about that....He is from Whitman, Mass.  He had a good idea of where to live and where not to. He also has to work in Quincy a lot so he had to stay in between.  His hours are long enough not needing to add a 2 hr commute on to it.

Quoting SusanD:

LOL yes, traffic is bad in areas around Boston and in those areas it does take a while to drive anywhere. However, you pay for convience. There are plenty of places that aren't "ghetto" in MA. I mean hell, I'm not suggesting that you live in Fall River or some place similiar. What I am saying is that if the cost of living where you live bothers you, then the option is to commute. There are plenty of nice areas that are a farther commute. I'm quite familiar with how long of a drive it is into Boston, around Boston, and from anywhere like the Cape, Providence, Salem, Dartmouth, Warchester, Pawtuckett, etc to Boston. You prefer convience over price, so you choose to live closer to Boston.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SusanD:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SusanD:

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    June 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Yep, Hawaii. =X

• Anonymous 1
    June 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Yes, that is another exspensive one!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep, Hawaii. =X

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups