Military Families

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Cost of Living.....really??
by Anonymous
June 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Have you ever been stationed in one of those places where the cost of living just just doesn't meet the local market? I am in one right now! It is so frustrating. I feel like we can't ever get ahead right now.

Replies

• kadensmomma0708
    June 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Thats common.

Quoting sahmw2010:

i have no proof, but it seems like the people renting out houses near a post knows how much people get for BAH and will raise the rent to take it all. thats what it seems like from some posts I have been to.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    June 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Yup I have noticed that too, there is this neat little trick when you are in a special duty place like recruiting (I don't know if they do it for regular duty), that if you can get say the land lord to bundle everything, electric, rent, water, lawn care, snow removal all that, and submit it to S1, even if it is more than what the bah is the army will pay it...I have known a few recruiters to do this.  My hubby though, didn't think that one through....arrg....oh well.   That is the only thing that gets me about being on post to being off.  Everything is included on post, while off post a lot of places you have to worry about all of it. 

Quoting sahmw2010:

i have no proof, but it seems like the people renting out houses near a post knows how much people get for BAH and will raise the rent to take it all. thats what it seems like from some posts I have been to.

• cocoroo
    by cocoroo
    June 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM

That is what they do.  If you had a house to rent out, wouldn't you try to get top dollar?  If we have to rent out our house when we PCS, we are going to put it up for the E6 BAH rate.

Quoting sahmw2010:

• sahmw2010
    June 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

i dont own a home that we rent out.. (well my in-laws are currently living in it back in MI) im not saying i blame going for that top dollar amount, but if electric, garbage, water isnt included in rent like on post.. save some room for those bills when doing ur rent.  this house, we do use all our bah. but rent doesnt take it all. once we add in the other basic bills, its gone. lol.

Quoting cocoroo:

That is what they do.  If you had a house to rent out, wouldn't you try to get top dollar?  If we have to rent out our house when we PCS, we are going to put it up for the E6 BAH rate.

Quoting sahmw2010:

• cocoroo
    by cocoroo
    June 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

We usually use all of our BAH for rent because we need to for a house we like in a good neighborhood.  We bought a house and our mortgage is $400 less than our BAH and the rent for our previous house 3 miles away.  

Quoting sahmw2010:

i dont own a home that we rent out.. (well my in-laws are currently living in it back in MI) im not saying i blame going for that top dollar amount, but if electric, garbage, water isnt included in rent like on post.. save some room for those bills when doing ur rent.  this house, we do use all our bah. but rent doesnt take it all. once we add in the other basic bills, its gone. lol.

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting sahmw2010:

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    June 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Sometimes buying works.  But I would not dare buy a house here in Mass, especially where the average 3 bedroom house goes for over $300,000.  And this house isn't very big, I do not want to get stuck with that morgage for sure if we were to move. If we were living outside of Campbell again, yah I would buy a house and if we had to move then rent it....

• darbyakeep45
    June 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Yep.  I agree here.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

I think it's tough all over right now, but I can only imagine how much more of a struggle it can be in more expensive areas.

• cocoroo
    by cocoroo
    June 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I wouldn't buy there either.  Went their property taxes ridiculously high also?  I know NJ has out of control property taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sometimes buying works.  But I would not dare buy a house here in Mass, especially where the average 3 bedroom house goes for over $300,000.  And this house isn't very big, I do not want to get stuck with that morgage for sure if we were to move. If we were living outside of Campbell again, yah I would buy a house and if we had to move then rent it....

• sahmw2010
    June 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    Oh. I guess we just got lucky here. This neighborhood is safe and quiet, near a good school my kids attend. And it didnt take the full BAH and left us enough to pay for the water, electric and garbage

Quoting cocoroo:

We usually use all of our BAH for rent because we need to for a house we like in a good neighborhood.  We bought a house and our mortgage is $400 less than our BAH and the rent for our previous house 3 miles away.  

Quoting sahmw2010:

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting sahmw2010:

• FL2AK
    by FL2AK
    June 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    That is how it was at every base we were at.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts