Military Families

Featured Posts
hellomilla
Drivers license help?
February 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM
We are about to find out where our first duty station will be at the beginning of next month. I'm so excited and honestly don't even really care where it will be because I hear we will move around a lot anyway. Okay my question is every time we move to a different state will I need to get a different drivers license? If so do some states make you retake your written test? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mandaschelle
    February 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM
    When I moved to Hawaii from my home state of Florida I kept my Florida Drivers License.
    I did however have to change the address. So I had a FL DL with an Hi address :)
  • Sweets32285
    February 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM
    I'm in California and kept my Iowa license. It expires next month. I'm going to fill out the extension to keep my Iowa license. They have it for military/spouses.
  • cocoroo
    by cocoroo
    February 5, 2013 at 1:35 AM
    I kept my SC DL for years, when it expired I got a Wa one. I didn't have to take a written test either time. I lived in Ga for 2 years with a Wa license.
  • barrelracer1699
    February 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I lived in Missouri for 4 years with an Iowa license. I am now in Germany and just filed the extention since mine expires today. So I am in Germany with an Iowa license!

• barrelracer1699
    February 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Where in Iowa are you from? I miss Iowa. I'm from Council Bluffs!

Quoting Sweets32285:

I'm in California and kept my Iowa license. It expires next month. I'm going to fill out the extension to keep my Iowa license. They have it for military/spouses.

• mom2jessnky
    February 5, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I always just keep my license until it expires. First one was an AZ license (I'm from California) had that for a couple years, then got a wild hair and switched to California. That expired in 2011, so I got an SC license (CA never sent me renewal paperwork so I assume they didn't want my $25) The SC license is good until 2021 so I'll have it for a bit.

I've never had to retake any tests, I just go in, fill out the app, pay my money ($25 seems normal), take a bad picture and go on my merry way.

• hellomilla
    February 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    If you choose to renew in your home state, what do you do about the address? Do you own a home in your home state or did you use a relatives address? We currently rent in WV so Im not sure how that would work keeping my rental address. Thanks!
  • JerseyAirGurl
    Ada
    February 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I have kept my NJ address. My husband and I use my parents address. 

• jas_momof2
    February 5, 2013 at 10:00 AM

You use your current address no matter where it is...

I had an AR license when we moved to Japan.  I renewed it from overseas with my address in Japan.  When we went to England from there, I updated the same AR license with my address in England...

Quoting hellomilla:

If you choose to renew in your home state, what do you do about the address? Do you own a home in your home state or did you use a relatives address? We currently rent in WV so Im not sure how that would work keeping my rental address. Thanks!

• hellomilla
    February 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Ohh okay! That makes sense. It's still your home state, it just has an address for a different state. I'm sure those look funny :P

Quoting jas_momof2:

You use your current address no matter where it is...

I had an AR license when we moved to Japan.  I renewed it from overseas with my address in Japan.  When we went to England from there, I updated the same AR license with my address in England...

Quoting hellomilla:

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts