Military Families

Featured Posts
jkleinman
Would the Army adjust child support?
January 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but I want to ask any way.

I filed for child support through my state, who in turn took the case to the state he lives in right now. The two states decided on a monthly amount to be paid in child support. Because of being two separate states it took a month after the child support order was finalized to start being taken out of his check so technically he was a month behind by the court order. For the first few months I received the court ordered amount. In August I start receiving over $100 a month more than the court order (not complaining). I figured it was to get him caught up on the month arrears, but never recieved any thing stating such. Well it's caught up and I figured it would.go back to normal. I'm still getting the higher amount though. He does have another child who's mother was ordered a higher amount since she's the older child (again not complaining). To this point I still have received any information on the reason for the higher amount. So I guess I'm curious, would the military adjust the amount being paid for our child to match what he pays for his other child? Is this possibly because he is deployed right now?

Again, I am not complaining one bit, this is giving our child more in savings. I'm only curious if they actually do this. He did tell me once that the Army would adjust child support based on rank and.pay. is that true?

Replies

• stormflower21
    January 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM

that's interesting...my son's father is in the army-and when they first filed for support he was deployed to afghanistan and they couldn't charge him. He then started paying on his own for the past 5 years.. then all of a sudden this month I quit recieving it. I am not sure if hes dead or what..I have no contact information for him other than the last base he was stationed at and that he got married. He also has another child from his 1st marriage and he had to pay her alimony as well. We were not married and his name as far as I know is not on my son's birth certificate-although supposedly it was added after that first child support meeting. They wouldn't add his name after birth because he was not in the room with me and wouldn't add it unless he came to them and signed it. Which he never ever came to my state, he's never seen my son other than pictures. So now I have to go though the process of filing with the child support office to find out anything about him. I honestly am beginning to believe he is dead.

• stormflower21
    January 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM

and when I say no contact information-his fb page, e-mail address and phone number I had for him don't exist anymore

• jkleinman
    January 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    Thanks and good luck! If the Army knows about your son, wouldn't they have to notify you ifnhe died?

Quoting stormflower21:

that's interesting...my son's father is in the army-and when they first filed for support he was deployed to afghanistan and they couldn't charge him. He then started paying on his own for the past 5 years.. then all of a sudden this month I quit recieving it. I am not sure if hes dead or what..I have no contact information for him other than the last base he was stationed at and that he got married. He also has another child from his 1st marriage and he had to pay her alimony as well. We were not married and his name as far as I know is not on my son's birth certificate-although supposedly it was added after that first child support meeting. They wouldn't add his name after birth because he was not in the room with me and wouldn't add it unless he came to them and signed it. Which he never ever came to my state, he's never seen my son other than pictures. So now I have to go though the process of filing with the child support office to find out anything about him. I honestly am beginning to believe he is dead.

• barrelracer1699
    January 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I don't think they could as that is court ordered. Why not contact the child support agency and ask them about the extra.

• jkleinman
    January 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    They never call back.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

I don't think they could as that is court ordered. Why not contact the child support agency and ask them about the extra.

• joshlor2
    January 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    It's usually a percentage that's ordered. So if he ranked up IE got a raise then you would be getting more automatically
  • jkleinman
    January 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    He once told me military superceeds (sp) court order, if it benefits the child, ie, raising support if pay is increased.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

• chrlstoncharmed
    If he is dead, you would be able to find an obit online. If he was KIA, his name would be in a database. You can look it up online.

Quoting stormflower21:

• mcwife86

if he isn't on the birth certificate then he isn't in the DEERS program and the army wouldn't know a thing abthim. its all in the computer system. that's how they get the health insurance and other benefits.

Quoting jkleinman:

Thanks and good luck! If the Army knows about your son, wouldn't they have to notify you ifnhe died?

Quoting stormflower21:

• jkleinman
    January 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Ok. So they don't adjust the amount to match another amount being paid if one is higher than the other?

Quoting joshlor2:

It's usually a percentage that's ordered. So if he ranked up IE got a raise then you would be getting more automatically

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN