Military Families

Featured Posts
Pugsmuggler
Lasik and deployment
December 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Does anyone know if there is a 6 month waiting period after getting Lasik surgery before you can be on an active boat?

Replies

• Andy15
    by Andy15
    December 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

no there isn't.

• Pugsmuggler
    December 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Quoting Andy15:

no there isn't.

• Andy15
    by Andy15
    December 7, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Not yet. I have some friends who got it done tho. they were on the ship, had 3-5 days con leave and then came back. I am on the waiting list right now. I dont know about PRK tho.

• Pugsmuggler
    December 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    Awesome, hubby is in school and will go back to a boat in 4 months. The poor guy has really bad eye sight :P

Quoting Andy15:

Not yet. I have some friends who got it done tho. they were on the ship, had 3-5 days con leave and then came back. I am on the waiting list right now. I dont know about PRK tho.

• SarahG82
    December 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I had PRK when I was in the Marines.  It was a 2 month wait.

• Andy15
    by Andy15
    December 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Its not what you want that will get it faster, it depends on what your CO catagorizes you as. a Cat 1 is like for SEALs and such.. and it goes to CAT 4 which is the least of them all.. Most times COs will give CAT 2's...but it all depends. Good luck to your hubby.

• fourlittlebees
    December 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM

My husband is Army but his unit did a 90 day freeze before deployment for anyone doing lasik.  However they had one soldier sneak off and do it anyway; she signed a waiver and deployed with them.

• chrlstoncharmed
    December 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    I sure hope he has better results than I had! I got Lasik about 8 years ago and my eyesight began deteriorating after year 3. I am back to needing correction but had I known that Lasik would prevent me from using contact lenses in the future, I wouldn't have had it done.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    December 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    It's as long as your profile lasts. The doctor needs to sign off on it to deploy. Mine profile was 4 months and a friend of mine had complications and ended up on a profile for almost a year.
  • MegG25
    by MegG25
    December 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I don't think so, dh got lasik in July of 2010 and was training in September.  he was on active duty orders in November of 2010, it was never a problem for us!  Good luck!

Military Families

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN