sweetone44_2004
Dog food question
December 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Do you feed your dog by what the bag says? For example, our dog food bag says to feed our dog 1 1/3 cups DAILY. To me that seems like so little! We have a husky, so I feed her 1 cup during the day and 1 cup at night.

Or do you use an automatic feeder?

Replies

• anchorgurl
    December 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I have an automatic feeder and don't worry about how much the dog eats.  As long as he is looking healthy, and not getting really fat, I don't worry.  I think the instructions on the bag are really just a guideline and if your dog is active and burns more calories, so maybe she just needs more.  I couldn't have a hungry animal, haha, so mine gets treats, too. 

• Aqua_Jen
    December 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    We do what you do with our husky. Just be sure to feed him/her good quality food too.
  • sweetone44_2004
    December 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    What brand do you use?

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

We do what you do with our husky. Just be sure to feed him/her good quality food too.

• sweetone44_2004
    December 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    My dh wants an automatic feeder but I have never really liked the idea. Maybe for food but not for water I clean her water dish so much I feel bad when its dirty lol.
    Our dog isn't fully potty trained yet, I'm afraid if we get her an auto feeder, she'll just eat then poop somewhere whenever. Since we feed her twice a day, I know when to take her out

Quoting anchorgurl:

I have an automatic feeder and don't worry about how much the dog eats.  As long as he is looking healthy, and not getting really fat, I don't worry.  I think the instructions on the bag are really just a guideline and if your dog is active and burns more calories, so maybe she just needs more.  I couldn't have a hungry animal, haha, so mine gets treats, too. 

• .oOMellyOo.
    December 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I keep food in a bowl that's always available for our fur baby. She eats about 3 -4 cups each day. She's not over weight and a very active dog. We feed Daph Blue Buffalo.

• OliviasMommy611
    December 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    I keep food and water in a bowl. Both are always full. He doesn't eat much.
  • Aqua_Jen
    December 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    Taste of the wild and as treats I cook up whatever meat for him.

Quoting sweetone44_2004:

What brand do you use?

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

• AbriCrazy
    December 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    You want a good quality food for a husky.
    We feed ours blue buffalo, she's on the evolution diet.

We feed her twice a day, one cup.
  • TippyD
    by TippyD
    December 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

lol.. um our dog gets 4-6 cups at a time, sometimes he will need a second helping by afternoon, other times we end up having to put yummy toppings on it since he will go 36 hours without eating it all:)  we are "bad" and leave the food for him to have access to all day.. and our mutt is still underweight! *yeah joys of getting an abused pet after he is 2!*

• mlogsdon
    December 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    We have an English mastiff, and she gets two scoops in the morning, and two at night. Unless she hasn't finished from the morning, then we just top off her bowl. She's a healthy weight for her size.

We used to feed taste of the wild in Louisiana, there was a tractor supply in the area, but I don't know where to find that around here. She gets pedigree large breed now.